What is the recommended oil to use in the final drives of a D6C? Should they be filled full to the filler plug opening? Thanks for the help.
Yes right up o plug hole, use sae 50 w. Later Bob
I'm saying this with a bit of graveyard humor: It's not a fill plug, it's a check plug.... check it often or write a large check! Lesson learned by a former subordinate of mine after I had left the company... D6D that used to take about a gallon a month when running.... the other side got rebearinged, the leaky side they couldn't even save the case! He didn't last long after that.
Thanks. If I've been informed correctly, SAE 50W is also used for the engine and hydraulics. I like the simplicity of not having to get a a different oil for each system. I am using Cat TO-4 SAE 30W in the transmission though.
The D6C/D started off using SAE30 Series 3 through the engine tran's and f/drives, the hydraulic tank needing SAE10, the later change to the improved TO4 and TDTO oils started with the High Drive tractors as the oil science advanced, Universal Farm oil is often used in the older CAT's in the U.K. tctractors