Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6C Final Drive question

JEVANS · 2025-07-27 22:54

I have a question regarding the bearing preload on the final drive on a D6C. The service manual entails quite a process to set the bearings. A guy Who works on them quite regularly told me he basically just tightens them up “fairly snug”. Basically just by feel I guess. Im wondering how others do it to make sure they are set so they will work properly and last a good while. Its very hard to judge how tight anything is because the duo cone seals holding everything tight anyway. Can a guy just pull them tight with a 3 to 4 foot snipe and thats “good enough”? I hate doing things by feel, I like to know things are set properly. Thanks for any advice!

Replies8
  1. #1pittsburgh cat man2025-07-27 23:10

    My old buddy used to always tell me a 180 pound guy on a 10 foot pipe but it was usually a cat adjustable spanner and 4-5 feet of pipe

  2. #2.RC.2025-07-28 04:14

    I split the track. Remove the plate that covers the nut on the end of the dead axle. Remove the locking bolt out of the bearing adjusting nut. Loosen the bearing adjusting nut by turning it clockwise. Then tighten the nut on the end of the dead axle, it should be tight already and never come loose but apparently sometimes it can. then tighten the bearing adjusting nut anti-clockwise with a six foot extension as tight as you can. Put in the locking bolt, put the cover back on over the dead axle nut, connect the tracks back up again. I would not be surprised it is an often overlooked part of the 1000 hour service and it rarely if ever gets done. I would imagine keeping that bearing nice the tight leads to longer final drive life.

  3. #3D5Dan2025-07-28 12:21

    The info the guys put above is how I understand to do the job (which I still have on my to-do list!)…but I’m seeing 550 +/-50 lb. ft. Ran back to house to get some pics from my manual… couldn’t find it in time, but I swear in the manual it states to use a 10 foot cheater bar (and assumes 180 she-man … NOTE: as you can see in pics info is from 1967 D5 manual, so consider it directionally correct!!

  4. #4pittsburgh cat man2025-07-28 14:35

    The tooling they have now to torque the bearings is a abortion I'd stick with the cheater pipe

  5. #5JEVANS2025-07-28 20:38

    Ok thanks for the input. Thats about how I set them, so should be good. I used the spanner and a 4’ snipe, but Im about 270lbs so thinking thats tight enough. After the guy puts some hours on it, probably be a good idea to re check the dead axle nuts and those bearing adjusters. After everything kinda seats in and such. Once again, Thanks.

  6. #6epirbalex2025-07-29 18:43

    Yeah , 10 stone at 6' of bar I've been told for a D4 . Probably able to work that out into foot lbs .

  7. #7Nige2025-07-30 05:43

    10 x 14 x 6. 840ft lbs sounds about right. For a chunkier person shorten the bar a bit....

  8. #8HarleyHappy2025-07-30 08:16

    Chunkier AKA Fatty! Lol