Hi, I'm new to (joining) the forum but I've been reading a pretty good bit. I'm considering buying a late model D6C 10K13187 that belongs to my friend who purchased it 4 years ago, and has put about 40 hours on it. I know just enough about dozers and equipment to be dangerous. I have maybe 500 hours on newer Case dozers, an 850 and a 1450. A description of the dozer... it has an SU blade (I think), where the ends are turned forward. It also has a root rake, a V blade shear, and a Hyster D6D winch on the back. It shows 4500 hours on the clock, has completely new undercarriage and shoes... supposedly $23K worth, I'm unsure because it was done prior to my friend purchasing it. It certainly looks all new. My intended usage... I have a small farm, 100 acres, that I'd like to do more clearing and cleaning on, and build another large pond in a natural valley behind the house. I'm also interested in clearing land for other people. I already have a good job, so I'm not looking to make a living at it. I'm going to put about 50 hours on this machine finishing the work my friend had started but never finished, so I'm going to work it pretty hard to see if it gets hot or has any issues. My questions... What and how is the V shear used? Seems like a small dozer for how I've seen them used in the past? Are there any issues with this tractor besides the "dead axle leak" that I've read about? Assuming the machine is in top condition, is it worth $33,000? Before I purchase, and I use it at his place, what should I look for as potential issues? Thanks for any information, Randy
Sounds like you've got a couple of things going for you.....good undercarriage and you're getting if from someone you know. Nice that it would come with the attachments too. If the blade is straight except for that corner bits it is a "straight" blade. An SU blade would have and bend farther toward the center. 4500 hours would be very low for that age....most likely not correct, especially if the undercarriage has been replaced. Check all the fluid levels....coolant, engine transmission, hydraulic, & final drives and grease it up before you start using it. While finishing up your friends job watch the engine and torque converter temps and oil pressure. Check that the coolant doesn't have oil in it or is blowing out the overflow (possible oil cooler or head gasket failure). Look for oil leaks or oil usage. Pull engine oil filler cap and see if it's got any blow-by puffing out the filler. To check trans for slipping you can pull the small floor plate between the brake pedals so you can see the short drive shaft between the torque converter and trans. With the brakes locked, put trans in gear and run up the throttle. Drive shaft should stop (torque converter stall)...shift to 2nd and 3rd and it should do the same thing. If the drive shaft continues to turn it would indicate slipping in the transmission. While using it you can tell if there is a lot of slack in the blade pivot points. Notice if the tracks get looser as you use the machine (track adjuster leaking) You might want to check, or have someone check, and adjust the sprocket bearings to be sure they're not loose. I'm sure that are more checks that others will mention. If the v-shear is a long blade mounted shear with saw teeth on the sides then it's for shearing trees.....only ever saw one around here and have never used one.
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure the hours are not correct. The hour meter interior paint looked newer than the other gauges. Another quick question... Someone told my friend that it has 3rd gear "locked out". Is that possible?
You can put a stop on the linkage to keep it out of 3rd, or you can let it wear out enough that the lever won't move far enough to engage lol. I'd definitely verify that 3rd is working before I paid that much for a 10k though.
I would assume from your reply that, if the shift lever moves into the 3rd gear position, it is not mechanically locked... the linkage is worn enough to keep it from getting to 3rd gear.
or 3rd gear simply doesn't work...
Yep, that's the way mine is. I need to rebuild the linkage but the ground I work in is mostly rocks so 3rd isn't an option either way.
Thats the $$ possibility. mine was adjusted wonky when I got it, it wouldn't shift neutral but it would shift 3rd so at least I knew it worked. I needed neutral more than 3rd so I just adjusted it the other way. There might be more possibilities but those are the ones I know.
Thank you, I appreciate the reply
They were a brilliant tractor in there day getting hard to find a good one now days though. I would get all tranni pressures checked Have a good look at the blocks in the track base to
I'm getting a good education here... The first thing I've learned is that I need someone familiar with these machines to look at it. I happen to know an independent heavy equipment mechanic who has all the tools. He's probably 65 years old by now so I'm sure he's worked on these machnines. I went by to look at the machine again yesterday. After looking at the undercarriage again, I'm pretty sure everything is new except for the track shoes. The grousers have about 2 inches left but I did notice the trailing edge of the shoe getting sharp. Track chain, sprocket segments, rollers, shoe bolts, all looked new. Idlers had no wear. I did see "Cat" cast into the parts, so I assume it's Cat components. Aside from what I don't know (or can't visually see myself), this dozer needs lots of small stuff... The linkage on the shuttle shift is worn, so it won't reach 3rd gear in reverse. The accelerator controls are locked together, so the pedal and hand throttle don't work independently. I have no clue what that assembly is called, but it's pretty obvious how it works. Every control linkage on the whole tractor needs to be cleaned, lubricated, or replaced. Some hydraulic lines need replacing. Definitely getting a mechanic to check the driveline condition, pressures, etc... I haven't started or ran it yet, going to let my friend (the owner) do that.
2" tall grousers aren't far off new height....if the trailing edges are sharp that would indicate to me that it's had new grousers welded on. Not a problem if they did a good job of welding.
I specifically looked to see if it had grousers welded on. It didn't, as far as I could tell. The soils here are sandy loam, not sure how that wears on equipment.