I am replacing my chains and noticed,more right side rear sprocket back and forth gear mesh movement than left side. Should there be any concern, also I would like to know whan the 3/4 plug in front of both left and right side sprocket in middle of tractor frame? Thank you
The plug in the side case is to undo the brake drum bolts if you cannot cope via the top of the case, also allows the torque setting of these bolts when re-fitting the drum, on the backlash through the gears if it is fairly close to the same on both sides I would be happy, but if it is a large % I would strip out both sides. tctractors
A failure of the sprocket hub bearings could cause an increase in backlash. Check side to side movement and compare. Later Bob
Bob, the bearing pre-load can be the cause on the backlash issue, but when I stuff new undercart into a D6C/D I usualy pop off the outer F/drive cases and peep inside, I usualy find the tin labrith guards worn out on the sprocket hub, plus the duo-cone seals needing changing, the back hub bearing is nearly always in need of renewing, to be honest its something I do easy and often save a big gear bust up, in the past I have worked for Companys that would have F/Drives stripped on D6/8's at no more than 8'000 hrs usualy tackling them around the 6'000 mark, they would also have me pull down the transmissions or swap them at this interval, the engines would get work done at around the 10'000 hr spot, but I suppose the D6 in Texas is only on light use possibly so having a look inside might not be thought a good idea?? tctractors
Getting back with a litttle more information, drained rt side diff housing, put in solvant ran tractor in 2nd foward and 2nd reverse, track off. drained solevent in clean container , no debri on metal . I used dail indicator against sprocket tooth left side tight, .030 backlash, left side loose, showes .130 backlash clearence in gear train. If there was bearing issues or gear wear wouldnt there be signs of metal in oil or solvant?