Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6D Cat Certified Rebuild

stars&bars44 · 2017-12-16 19:33

I remember looking at the brochure at Carolina Cat and saw the listed models available. My question is I dont remember if they offer it for a D6D dozer. And if they do what the cost would be? Has anyone ever done a Certified rebuild? Is it worth it?

Replies10
  1. #1Junkyard2017-12-16 19:38

    Unless there's a really seasoned old hand in their shop I don't know that I'd want the Cat house to do one on a machine that age. I'd be scared to know what it would cost a feller..... Later model production machines that rack up 1,000's of hours a year and HAVE to work day in and day out it could make more financial sense to do a certified rebuild vs a new machine. Bring it to me, I'll do the same thing as Cat. Won't be as fast and there won't be a time lapse video of it but it'll be done right! We can make it a HEF project, all the older retired hands can come help she relive their youth!

  2. #2stars&bars442017-12-16 19:47

    Oh I agree. All the older guys have left and these new guys do what the laptop tells them to change. This was my grandfathers dozer, I love the machine and use it all the time. It needs a motor rebuild, fuel pump rebuild, has a bad seal in the left final. Just curious if a rebuild would be 30,000 or 100,000. I know it would be better to put the money in another tractor, but I know what I have with this one and its tough to beat those older cat dozers.

  3. #3Junkyard2017-12-16 20:06

    I'm betting the price would scare the crap out of you. I get the sentimental value, I'm the same way. I'd say fix what needs fixed as it happens. Unless you happen to be independently wealthy then go nuts!

  4. #4oilerman2017-12-16 23:00

    Every time I have to take my Cat in the shop I cringe. I have a big oil leak on my D6C which I think is a seal... and I cant see it being less that 8000 to fix it.

  5. #5farmerlund2017-12-17 10:50

    Somewhere on here there is a thread from Pafarmer about doing it I believe it was D6C or D he was going to have done. I cant find crap with the forums search. I have lots of free time in Feb. and March, If you get the Job Junkyard.

  6. #6Junkyard2017-12-17 11:21

    It would be considerably better weather down here! Although the OP is in NC, that wouldn't be all bad either. For the holiday season we are swamped. They're doing about 20-25 miles of the turnpike, adding lanes etc. We're drilling all the bridge piers and overpass piers/abutments. Usually it's hard for most of the guys to get 30 hours a week this time of year, I bet the drilling crews are knockin out 50 hour weeks easy. Off topic I know lol. Thanks for the offer, never know! May have the D11 I used to care for on the yard for some work if he lands another reclaim. That's a fun evening/weekend job!

  7. #7gary8082018-01-15 17:51

    I would stay away from cat with the older stuff. We're working on some assemblys on a 9h that were rebuilt by cat and it's riddled with errors. They forgot to lign the bearing dowels up and then tried to drill new holes in the bearing race for the pin. When that didn't work they silicone glued the dowl in because the freze plugs wouldn't fit. They were kind enough to stamp their names on all the parts lol. I was talking to a fellow and they said all the older guys retired.

  8. #8kshansen2018-01-15 19:56

    Well there is a dealer up north that is getting some practice on 3306 engines! Maybe by the time they get to yours they will figure out how to rebuild one!

  9. #9kshansen2018-01-15 20:00

    Those guys need to go for a swim in shark waters with a couple raw steaks tied to them! Or let them take a swim in the "lake" at Halema‘uma‘u Crater!

  10. #10gary8082018-01-15 21:07

    I agree lol. This dealer is pretty terrible they really only want to deal with the big company's that get all the crazy overpriced county and state jobs through the buddy system. They don't even return phone calls 99% of the time. I did hear the retired mechanics were selling all there tools off. Someone was selling a complete press/puller set for the older machines for 10k. We've come to the mindset of owning our own tools and doing our own work. We also order in 100% of our parts, we save a ton doing that. Don't even get me started on the john deere or case dealers here.