Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6H vs D6R

Aeromechanick · 2024-08-13 15:10

Hello all, Thanks sincerely for taking the time to read. I’m in the market for a 40k+ lb dozer and I’m leaning towards one of the 2. I’m curious what the differences were between the two models. I’m also curious what the difference is between a D6H and a D6H series 2. Please advise, and thanks for your expertise! Nick

Replies6
  1. #1.RC.2024-08-13 17:11

    The D6H had no electronics controlling the engine/transmission. D6R mostly electronic controlling the above.

  2. #2361brock2024-08-14 21:49

    The blade control handle in the D6H is not pilot, it's all linkage and not the most comfortable to operate, in fact if you have any issues with your shoulder think twice. Nick

  3. #3PWR2024-08-24 12:21

    Differential steering is probably the big difference between a D6H and a D6H Series 2

  4. #4CM19952024-08-24 12:55

    IMO diff steer is the much better option. Had a 2007 D6R XW that was an excellent tractor.

  5. #5JAJ2024-08-24 19:14

    The D6H series 1 had diff steer as an option as well as far as I know. I know a bloke with a D6H LGP series 1 that is diff steer and I have driven it. I think my D6H LGP series 2 diff steer, is better with the gears on the end of the diff steer handle instead of on another lever. Probably a few nice noticeable operator comfort things and a few hardware things like different style radiator but no huge differences from memory. Some of the more experienced people might be able to shed light on the difference. I have never driven a D6R but the early ones had an electronic controlled transmission with a mechanical 3306 engine I am pretty sure. Then they went to electric control engines as well… C9 I think with the Series 2. Re the hydraulics being a bit hard on your shoulder… mine does bind up in the linkages occasionally and gets very annoying but not too bad when everything is working properly. If the D6R has pilot hydraulic controls that would be nice. I really like diff steer for the work I do but I know some people think the steering clutches are simpler and better long term. Will be very interesting to hear peoples opinions on this!

  6. #6Mquinista2024-08-25 07:08

    From what i used to know back in the day... 6H, series I and II both were sold with diff steer as option, both 3306 engines mechanichal engines. Differences were on the some parts that were improved over tbe 5 years series I was on the market. R series I is another story, engine in some of them was the 3306 with some electronic gadgets, TXM was finguer tip control, hydraulics were pilot press type like a excavator. TXM and Hyd block was full of solenoids and controlers... wich at the time were not the best. Seat was 35° ofset to the right. RII came with C9 engine, the unit injector cousin of the 3116 never made much success as the 3116, CAT went direct to something else. RI could be ordered without finguer tip controls with either diff steer or lever clutches. Same for HYD block. Overall the R's were not loved in my planet. Many big contructors had to deal with them. I sugest care choosing either of the R's as this machines have sophistcated systems hard and costly to repair. In the H's well engine is what it is, except the diff steer versions TXM can be repaired anywhere by anyone with a litle mech knowledge. No electronics in main functions. But its up to the Gentleman that need it.