Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6k xl

Powderville · 2019-12-17 15:21

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I signed up when I started shopping for a dozer and am amazed at all the things I'm learning about dozers. I recently bought a 2008 d6k and haven't found anything on them. Does anyone have any advice on them as to weaknesses or things to watch for on them. Also, it has a winch which I don't have much use for but would really like a ripper which if nothing else makes working on the tracks easier. Thanks for any advice

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2019-12-17 17:18

    With the D6K having a more "modern" common-rail injection system I would have said that timely engine oil & filter changes along with fuel filters, plus keeping water out of the fuel system, would be a good start. I'd also suggest using good quality oils & filters. The filters don't have to be OEM Cat but should be good quality, not what we laughingly on HEF refer to as "Joe Blow's Gas & Groceries" products. I'm a big believer in Donaldson filters because they manufacture the Cat OEM filters. Do you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it.? Lots of useful info for less than $50 downloaded from the web. If you don't have one, post a Serial number and I can walk you through the process.

  2. #2Powderville2019-12-17 22:19

    The manual was still in the machine believe it or not. It has 3200 hrs and I can't see anything that has been worked on. All filters on it are cat and dated in 2018. Should I replace all the oils and filters or take oil samples and see what they say? Thanks for the help.

  3. #3Nige2019-12-18 08:57

    Were the actual dates & hourmeter readings written on the filters, rather than just 2018..? I think if it was mine I'd change the engine oil & filters plus the fuel filters. (The oil change frequency is every 3 months or 250 hours.) I'd also have an oil sample analyzed from the oil that you drain. Make sure to drain any water & sediment from the fuel tank. You never know how long it was standing before you bought it. The primary air cleaner element replace (or not) based on condition. Oil samples from transmission, hydraulic system, & final drives. Make sure that the analysis includes the ISO Cleanliness Code for the oil. That can tell you a lot.

  4. #4Powderville2019-12-18 09:38

    All the filters on the machine are dated 3-18. No hours mentioned on them. I don't think it has a lot of hours since then because the blade and tracks are rusty. Also, there was a bunch of old daily operators reports from 2014 that showed machine hours and it only added 400 hours since then. It was in midland, texas. I think that's a good idea to change engine oil as that is relatively cheap. The transmission is hydrostatic and it holds a lot of oil. Does a person call the local cat dealer and have them do the oil samples? Thanks much for your help on this. It's much appreciated

  5. #5Nige2019-12-18 10:52

    3-18 is almost 2 years ago. Enough said..... that oil really needs changing. Buy good quality oil and filters. Check with your Cat dealer to see if they have any promotions that often result in Cat oil & filters being cheaper than you'd buy elsewhere. I always suggest to mark the new filters with both the date and the hourmeter reading. Your Cat dealer probably has the best oil analysis capability that you are likely to find in your neck of the woods. I don't know if they sell kits that cover the cost of the sample bottles and the analysis all in one hit, or if you buy the kit first and then pay for the analysis separately afterwards - you'd have to ask. You can do the samples yourself. Plenty of videos on YouTube - I put "Cat engine oil sampling" and the first things that popped up were Cat-produced videos showing how to do it. Anything you're not sure about please ask. One thing that can't be stressed enough - the oil must be at operating temperature before taking the sample. The last thing I'm going to throw out there is that the move from Texas to Montana might require different (lower) viscosity oils in the powertrain and final drives due to the colder ambient temperature. Another reason that oil analysis will be useful - at least it will tell you what viscosity of oil is in there right now.

  6. #6Powderville2019-12-18 13:45

    I called T&E in Billings and got sample kits coming. You pay for everything up front. They cost $25 each which includes postage. That seems pretty reasonable. I'm going to sample all the oils and coolant but change engine oil regardless of test results. I'm also going to change every filter on the machine even tho it might not be necessary. Mostly a feel good thing. I'll buy cat this first time anyway mostly because I didn't buy the machine from them but they've been really good to talk to anyway. This thing has three separate fuel filters. Parts man told me the same thing you did about fuel filters. I guess it can really get expensive if any speck of dust gets past that 3rd filter. Thanks again for your help Nige. You've been great help.

  7. #7Nige2019-12-18 22:30

    Next time you’re talking to T&E ask them how long Rex Rowe (Roe.?) has been retired. He is/was a buddy of a former work colleague of mine, in fact I still have a T&E jacket that Rex gave me years ago.

  8. #8Powderville2019-12-19 00:07

    Will do. I'm sure I'll end up getting to know some of them. Everyone there I've talked to so far has been friendly and helpful. I'll let you know

  9. #9Powderville2020-02-24 16:16

    Hey Nige, I was in Billings last weekend for the mate show. There was a 40 year vet from t&e there. He knew Rex Rowe well and spoke highly of him. I guess he retired about 15 years ago. Sounds like he was quite the character and was a helluva guru when it came to cat equipment. Not sure what his position was but he worked with technicians on the ground and engineering. When the techs couldn't figure something out they would send Rex to figure it out. The guy I talked to said it was a sad day when he retired because he was so good at what he did and people really liked him. Kind of a rare combination of knowledge, work ethic and personality that is difficult at best to duplicate. Just thought you would like to know

  10. #10Nige2020-02-24 18:13

    Thank you for the update. I guess the last time I met Rex in person must've been in thre 2005/6 time frame at a convention and IIRC he was saying then that he was thinking about retiring. Looks like he kept his word. Basically we both did the same job for different dealers at that time.