Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6N wire harness

KWhauling · 2021-11-13 15:47

I have a D6N cck00666 it needs a new wire harness to the back of transmission is that a major job? All the insulation is worn off at the elbow cat dealership said you had to pull cab is that necessary?I'm hoping not I was on cats part site I can't even find a part number thanks in advance

Replies31
  1. #1kshansen2021-11-13 19:48

    Do you have a wiring diagram for this machine? If not I could send you one if you go to the Start Conversation and send me a email address there.

  2. #2kshansen2021-11-13 19:57

    Or can you pick the harness out in this drawing:

  3. #3KWhauling2021-11-14 05:56

    I believe it's top picture right that looks like the elbow with wires going thru it

  4. #4kshansen2021-11-14 11:14

    This is tricky without seeing the machine in person. Would this harness be the same one that has the two plug connectors to the ECM for the transmission controls? If so it might be the one in the picture below: Number 9 in lower left points to the end of harness P/N 237-4493. And Number 5 is the ECM control for the steering and transmission.

  5. #5Nige2021-11-14 14:43

    Your description of the harness you need isn't 100% clear - not to me anyway. Is it this one that connects to the back side of the transmission at the connector #1 in the photo below.? If yes, the Part Number for your machine Serial Number CCK00666 is 248-5670 and it is the platform harness. It would be a bear to replace complete because it connects to around 40 different separate connectors all over the platform. EDIT: There may be an updated harness available where the existing harness is replaced by 2 separate new harnesses. Note that diff steer and clutch/brake machines use different Part Numbers of platfrom harness.

  6. #6KWhauling2021-11-14 16:39

    That looks like it I'm pretty sure

  7. #7kshansen2021-11-14 18:10

    Well as I look on SIS at the various wiring harness numbers they seem to all say non-returnable so you need to be sure! Can't really say without being there in person if the original harness can be salvaged but would sure consider that as an option. If done with some care it maybe possible to splice in some new wire to replace the one(s) with damaged insulation. The real trick is doing the splicing right and sealing the repair. Then I would also see if there is a way to reposition the harness to avoid damage in the future.

  8. #8KWhauling2021-11-14 18:18

    Thank youQUOTE="Nige, post: 1008837, member: 23972"]Your description of the harness you need isn't 100% clear - not to me anyway. Is it this one that connects to the back side of the transmission at the connector #1 in the photo below.? If yes, the Part Number for your machine Serial Number CCK00666 is 248-5670 and it is the platform harness. It would be a bear to replace complete because it connects to around 40 different separate connectors all over the platform. EDIT: There may be an updated harness available where the existing harness is replaced by 2 separate new harnesses. Note that diff steer and clutch/brake machines use different Part Numbers of platfrom harness. View attachment 248636 [/QUOTE] Thanks but the insulation is totally gone on the last 3 inches right at the elbow only way to repair would be replace the elbow and about 3 inches of the 12 or 14 wires thanks

  9. #9KWhauling2021-11-14 19:12

    Thanks everyone now I hopefully can find someone to replace it

  10. #10Nige2021-11-15 02:21

    Try pricing the 248-5670 Part Number but make sure you’re sitting down when they give it to you. The price of a new harness might make you think twice about attempting a repair.

  11. #11KWhauling2021-11-15 06:13

    About $3000 plus labor to in stall told me a week cat said cab has to come off I thought that was a little extreme thanks

  12. #12Nige2021-11-15 07:43

    I can’t see prices any more but was expecting something North of $2k for the harness alone so no surprise there then.

  13. #13kshansen2021-11-15 08:47

    Hard to judge without being there as I said, but if there is reasonable access to the section of harness with the insulation damage, there might be a few ways to repair the damaged insulation or splice in new sections using proper methods. I would be looking into possibly using some heat shrink tubing with the hot melt glue inside to get a good seal. If splicing on new wire again I would be sealing the splice with the hot glue heat shrink and probably staggering the splices to avoid too much bulk in one area. The main thing no matter how one proceeds would be to figure out why this harness was damaged in the first place and make sure it can not happen again! And not to prejudge the work ethics of the people at the dealer but I would be concerned about how careful they might be to install all hold downs and properly route the wires to prevent damage.

  14. #14KWhauling2021-11-15 11:52

    I totally trust the dealerships work it's just they get $140 an hour and they're telling me 40 to 50 hours to change this harness the reason the harness went bad it's the end of the wires are exposed to the elements it's actually only the last 3 inches of the wire harness where it goes into the back of the transmission

  15. #15Rihpper2021-11-15 18:57

    If it’s just the last few inches that need replacement, you could possibly find the right plug with a pigtail and splice that on the end of your existing harness.

  16. #16Rihpper2021-11-15 19:02

    It looks like the part # Nige gave updates to 2 new #s

  17. #17KWhauling2021-11-16 19:34

    I found a plug I'm going to try and splice it in the end I'm going to solder and heat shrink each splice thanks Kevin

  18. #18kshansen2021-11-17 08:57

    Two suggestions. Use heat shrink that has the hot melt glue inside and put heat shrink on the wires before soldering or crimping the connections. Not that I ever made that last mistake!

  19. #19Nige2021-11-17 11:01

    How many individual wires are there in the damaged branch of the harness that goes to the transmission.? If I'm in the correct location the schematic shows there are 15 wires coming into CONN 9 on the outside of the transmission but only 11 of them actually continue inside. I think the plug on the outside of the transmission probably looks like this...... It might be possible to use a pair of Deutsch connectors and splice a length of "repair harness" (from memory they are made with either 3, 6, or 12 wires inside them) and then connect the whoie thing up in a way that will be as good as a genuine factory harness.

  20. #20KWhauling2021-11-19 15:43

    I got a new plug solder heat shrink with glue I'm bringing the dozer home to shop tomorrow I'm going to give it a shot thanks to everyone for the help I really appreciate it I'll let you'd know how it turns out

  21. #21KWhauling2021-11-19 15:44

    Thank you so much for wire scamatic

  22. #22KWhauling2021-11-19 15:49

    You wouldn't happen to have the pin schematic actual pin number to correct wire ?

  23. #23Nige2021-11-19 15:55

    It's on the electrical schematic. I'll PM you a copy.

  24. #24kshansen2021-11-19 19:24

    I guess I can now delete the copy I have had stored on my desktop that I offered to send last Saturday.

  25. #25Nige2021-11-20 04:28

    Sorry Ken. I didn't realize that you had already offered.

  26. #26kshansen2021-11-20 06:54

    No problem here, just figured the OP was not interested or already had a copy as I did not get a reply to the offer.

  27. #27Gary Layton2021-11-20 07:16

    I love how you guys reach out and offer help... and it looks like well thought-out offers of information. I have access to an old cat D7 that we had running 10 years ago. I'm thinking about trying to get it going again. The engine ran great but it took a 40-acre field to turn it around...the steering was wonky. When we tackle that problem again I will certainly reach out towards you guys for info. In the meantime I like reading how y'all try to help folks out.

  28. #28kshansen2021-11-20 07:47

    One regret I have regarding the older equipment is not grabbing all the old manuals I had access to while still working the last few years at the quarry. Cat SIS is a great source of information but only goes back so far. Tried to find some simple information on a 3304 fuel system on another thread but ran in to a road block as nothing on SIS. But that is OT for the thread!

  29. #29KWhauling2021-11-20 14:01

    I got the pm but as far as how the plug pins are numbered I got the plug off and all the wires marked but there are 15 wires I was hoping for the actual plug pin numbers if possible thanks again I really appreciate the help

  30. #30Nige2021-11-20 14:27

    The pin positions in the plug are lettered not numbered, at least on the schematic anyway. If the letters do not appear on the plug itself the only thing I can think of is to get the cover off the back of the transmission and look at the wire numbers on the other half of the connector. The wires maintain the same numbers/colours on both sides of the connector.

  31. #31kshansen2021-11-20 16:03

    And somtimes those number/letters are real small and hard to read. But like Nige says Cat is good about putting numbers on the wires so as long as you take your time to find them you should be okay.