We have a Cat D6R Serial Number EXL00132. The fuel injectors have been failing like 2 or 1 injectors at a time. These injectors have been getting replaced. The last to fail was Number 4 injector and it was replaced and it did 50 hours and has failed again.The Manager wants to replace it again but this time with the HEUI pump and transfer pump replaced as well. My question is can injectors fail one or 2 at a time if the problem is with the HEUI or transfer pump. Do we time the HEUI pump when fitting to the engine please. Thank you.
Yes the injectors can and do fail in one or two at a time usually means the HEUI pump is failing also remove the plugs at each end of head for the oil gallery for the injectors and clean well. also remove the check valve at end or head and replace you can clean some of them but I prefer to replace Search on here for HEUI information. There is a hell of a lot of it
X 2... The injectors fail from the pump eating itself from the inside.. Not to say that an injector failure isn’t common, but repeated replacement of an injector shoulda been a clue.. The pump eats itself due to a bad lift/supply pump.. W a bad/failed supply pump, the engine will still run because the inj. pump will PULL the fuel all the way from the tank.. but it’s not made to.. that’s why it goes bad.. When u get your new inj. pump, there should be a bright orange tag that says u MUST REPLACE the supply pump at the time of inj. pump replacement.. or u void the warranty..
And just for a bit more info............The failure rate on remaned injectors is high. My Cat dealer wont use them unless the customer asks for them. I replaced enough of them that I wont use them either.
Mark do you have the HEUI cylinder head cleaning procedure that you could post up for the OP.? I’m only working from a phone at the moment otherwise I would do it myself. To the OP. The HEUI pump is not timed when it is installed.
I have it saved I will find it and post
Thank you everyone for all the information. I managed to replace the injector and the HEUI pump on our D6R. Can I ask if there is detailed procedure to do the Injector Trim Codes please. Thank you.
Before you go any further regarding Trim files, did you clean out the High Pressure Rail using the procedure supplied above by Mark..? Because if you didn't do that cleaning before installation of the pump & injectors the chances are that your new components will fail in a short period of time.
Yes Nige we did the cleaning and fitted back the injectors and replaced the failed number 4 injector. We also replaced the HEUI pump but now left with the Trim Codes. Thank you
Did each replacement injector come with a CD in the box containing the Trim Code file..? If the answer is no then you will have to download the Trim Files. For that you will need SIS-web. Click on "Service Software Files" in the bottom RH corner of the main screen, then click on "Injector Trim Files". I'll send you the full procedure but that will get you started.
I want to thank everyone on this forum for all the information regarding our D6R Dozer injectors failures. Yes we cleaned the cylinder head as per procedure I got from this forum. We replaced the failed injector, HEUI pump and also did the Trim codes. I got all the information and procedures from this forum.The Dozer is now back to work, thank you very much.