On the outside of the track frame there is a heavy access cover ( 5 bolts) covering the end of the track pivot shaft. Yesterday the left one sprung a leak. Bolts are tight. Seepage is enough to keep the area wet. Why would that start leaking all of a sudden? What should I be checking?
Here's what it looks like. It could be something as simple as the O-Ring #11 leaking. However if you pull the cover #4 in addition to removing the retainer #1 to check O-Ring #11 I would also remove the bolts #8 and check the thrust washer #7 that sits behind plate #3. Remember that there is nothing holding the track frame to the machine if you remove the bolts #8. If the machine is on a slight side slope with the track frame where you have the leak on the lower side you should be OK.
It seems to have stopped as quickly as it started. I wonder if that compartment wasn't just "breathing" a little. Its been hotter the last couple days.
Someone spill some engine oil during a morning top off ?
I think i'd be checking it out... I've had the bolts (8) come loose on mine... Sure is a lot easier to fix if you catch it early enough.