Well a month or so back I had the opportunity to run a 1998 cat D6R XL for a couple hours and I now have the fever! Yes my dozer works great but after running that dozer it seems crazy not to have one! So im going to bite the bullet this winter/spring and try to buy one. My reason for posting is I've been trying to search for info on here about them but not having much luck my questions were as follows.... What are the main things to look out for when buying one? How many hours do engines, trans, torque, finals usually last in one? ( i know all machines are going to be different but approximately ) is there anything that goes wrong with alot of them that i need to look out for to see if its been repaired? any info would be great thanks all in advance! The years ive been looking at were 1997-2001 no cab just erops
Iowan, if you find a unit and you think it is worth the asked money you should look at first to the undercarriage condition. The U/C is 30% of the whole value. Then you should run a stall-test. This way you find a lot of info about condition of engine, torque and transmission. We have seen 6Rs' in great condition with 12k hrs and we have seen bad machines with 8k hrs. I recommend to have someone to connect the CAT-ET to get you a "Product Summary. Have a look to my blog to read why. If you are in the US our partner company Honestinspections might be able to perform a good inspection for reasonable money. regards from Germany Wolfgang www.mevas.eu
Thanks for the info mevas!
I would stick with the models made here in the states the prefix for the years you mentioned should be 5LN ***** here is a good site that tells the country of orgin for each serial # prefix and also price estimates. Select crawler tractors then over on the right scroll down to D6R and it will give you info per the serial # prefix http://www.ironrecord.com/ . I recently bought an 05' AAX1326 so I'm no expert, lots of sensors and electric functions. I believe the 5LN series is simpler with a 3306 probably even mechanical injection which is better IMO. Here in Ca. emissions is a big deal so I opted for the later model with a C9 to dodge the air board for a while. Good luck to you in your search