Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6R LGP Or Not

RDJ1966 ยท 2011-02-02 23:15

Looking for a D6R for use on a farm and wondering which to go with. Dad has always had an old D7 17A so we are looking at something we can't compare to. One thing dad noticed is with the wider blade on the LGP it seems it would be easier to see the outside of the blade to see whats going on. It will have a cab and wondered your thoughts on which would be best for us. TIA

Replies7
  1. #1vapor3002011-02-03 00:10

    there not a bad tractor, but if your looking for a machine that you can see the blade easy mite want to get one with a 6 way blade

  2. #2JTL2011-02-03 00:13

    I spend alot of time on LGP 6's. Even with the wide blade, the corner bits are still kinda blind, because of the wide tracks. As with any dozer, it's more about the feel of the blade rather than being able to see the corner bits. All of our 6's have 2 foot wide 'wings' that turn the straight blade into a U. Makes it a little easier to see the end of the blade. Sorry, I couldn't find a real good picture of the wings. I'm laid off for a bit right now, so I can't get a better one till I go back to work.

  3. #3inyati132011-02-03 05:11

    A great picture, Jason.

  4. #4wsw2011-02-03 08:54

    Great machine and you will get used to it quickly I believe, as for LGP or not only you really know he conditions in which it will be working mostly. You will get less life out of an LGP undercarriage but then again I doubt you will be piling on the hrs real quick either. I'd go with the 6 way blade also

  5. #5ILLICEMAN2011-02-03 10:08

    i WOULD TAKE A HARD LOOK BEFORE i GOT A LGP.IF YOU DO NOT HAVE PROBLEMS WITH FLOTATION DON,T GO THIS WAY. A LT 6 WOULD DO.ALSO KEEP IN MIND A HT D5 WILL DO MORE THAN YOUR D 7. I JUST TRADED MY D 5 FOR A JD750 C II.I REALLY LIKE IT. GOOD LUCK

  6. #6ronthedozerman2011-02-03 12:03

    Rdj--i second what wsw said. You'll get approx 25%- 50% less undercarriage life than a standard gauge tractor. Also if you are going to be grunting against trees like you said in your 315 thread i would not go with an lgp.if you have a big tree you're pushing and reasonably hard ground under the tractor your gonna be stressing the final drives when you have the extra traction of lgp pads. Also if you are going to be in timber a lot then get a standard su blade as it will put up with the stress better than a 6-way blade. Illiceman---i'm jealous, as i've always wanted either a 750c or 750j with a ripper. I may get stoned for saying this (and i own cat) ,i think the jd dozers are just as good as cat....just not near the after market support for jd!

  7. #7LonestarCobra2011-02-03 19:08

    I would not get a LGP unless needed for floatation. Too much uneeded stress on the drivetrain and u/c. I dont know if they still do it, but they used to increase horsepower on LGP models, so that just adds more stress. The XL version is my favorite.