Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rebuilding a Deere PAT blade

SE-Ia Cowman · 2011-01-31 20:58

Hey guys a quick question on a pat blade It is on a 750Cll lgp all the bushings and balls are loose we got the new parts but there are a few pins that are loose in the ears [top and bottom not in the cylinder] the ears have bushings welded in them and are about 1.75 inches deep they are welded in top and bottom looks like a pain in the rear to air arc them out and replace them not to mention they are not listed in the parts break down. Short of welding the pin in or welding the holes up and reaming them out which would be hard due to the depth and only having a 2'' hole to work with I don’t have any good ideas on tightening them up. The new pins have about .030'' to .050'' play in the ears. I am afraid if we don’t get them tight they will continue to wear on the ears and make the blade looser. Has anyone else had this problem or have any good ideas to remedy it.

Replies9
  1. #1willie592011-01-31 21:27

    You may have a little slack in the pin bosses, but unless it's an everyday user machine, I don't think .030 - .050 sounds excessive. .0625 = 1/16", and your less than that. Yes, the pins moving around in the pin bosses will get worse as time goes by because a moving pin has shock impact to it. But if you really want tight pin bosses, no real easy way I know to do it, any way you go will either be time comsuming or wallet consuming. If it clearly has bushing welded into the pin bosses, and they're not in the parts diagrams, sounds like someone has bored the holes and welded in bushings previously. If they are welded in bushings, bead of weld above and below, I would think a good torch man could cut out the bushings without sacrificing parent metal of pin boss holes. Then have a machine shop make you some new bushings to weld in.

  2. #2Iron@Dirt2011-01-31 21:59

    If someone line bored the holes already, they did the expensive and tedius work. Atco has it right.

  3. #3SE-Ia Cowman2011-01-31 22:32

    Thanks guys the term bushing was incorect and the pin boss is what I am refering to the machine has 4200 hrs on it and gets 700 to 1200 hrs a year. The shock impact is what i was worried about and would like to get rid of but as I suspected there is no easy fix. Are pin bosses available through dealers and not listed on parts page? I think I will put it back together the way it is and next time around will be due for a welding and line boreing. The good thing about the problem is the pins come out easy and go in easy.

  4. #4willie592011-01-31 23:22

    Now I think I know what your talking about. You have a flat plate (ears), maybe 3/8" to 1/2" that is welded to the back of the blade. That plate has a hole at the end of it that has a "pin boss" that's about 1 3/4" in length welded into the hole. Is that right?

  5. #5SE-Ia Cowman2011-02-01 07:49

    Yes Atco that is what I am refering to. I will get a picture today if I can get there as we are haveing a blizzard. Thanks

  6. #6SE-Ia Cowman2011-02-01 19:31

    pictures Here are some pictures I took with my phone today

  7. #7willie592011-02-01 19:52

    Yep, I thought that was the type of bushings you were talking about. I'm just curious about the conical shape of the inside portion of the pin bosses, as to whether there were made that way, or if it's caused by wear. If it's wear, I would lean toward replacing those pin bosses. I really don't think it would be all that difficult for a good torch hand to cut those out, clean up the hole in the plate, and have a machine shop make some new pin bosses. I suppose you have spherical bearings in those joints. BTW, when you finally go to fit everything back together, lots and lots of zinc based Never Seize.

  8. #8SE-Ia Cowman2011-02-01 20:08

    Thank Atoc and everyone for your replys. The cone shape on the bottom and top of the pin bosses are machined that way from the factory they help holde the rubber seal that goes between the sperical bearings and the pin boss. We got the blade back together today and just left the one loose pin boss the way it was. The blade is 100% better than it was and will just wait until next time to line bore or replace the pin boss. The pins that deere uses are as hard as the sperical bearings but the pin bosses are not much harder than mild steel.

  9. #9willie592011-02-01 20:19

    Sounds good bro.