Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6T Application Efficiency

Mark S · 2022-03-22 17:39

I am new to this forum and newer to heavy equipment. I apologize ahead of time if my terminology isn’t correct but I will try and explain my project, and I am looking for ideas/experience advice. I undertook a large project last summer by digging a ski lake, 2100’x280’. I have a Cat 349 for the digging and a D6T for the pushing. I am now at the point where I need to push large piles of sand away from the lake portion that has been done. I have dug down the middle and piled the sand 30’ away. The pile is about 700’ long and 20’ high. I need to push it about 300’ away from the lake. On the short side is the water, I do have about 20’ of room before the water starts and then the pile of sand starts after that. My question is what’s the most efficient way to push that large pile away? Do I get on top and just keep pushing away? Do I just keep taking bites on the sides? I tried both today and while the top option seems a bit more efficient it seems a bit sketchy at the same time. is there a better way that I’m not thinking of? i realize a big dump truck would be best but I only have these two pieces of equipment. thanks for the direction.

Replies5
  1. #1skyking12022-03-22 17:51

    if you have never mass pushed before, the method that I was taught was to start at the back of the cut and get a push going, and it will build up along the sides to make a channel. Those walls increase the cubic yards you can move in a single push. Be very careful to leave the hard packed soil alone that you are pushing over. The more discipline you have for grade in the transport part of the push, the better your efficiency will be. I would begin a channel or path about 40' from the (left) end of the berm, and clean that end up into the channel. I would use the right side of the channel for a new left side, and clean that old left side up to the destination. Move over and repeat. keep re-using the right side of your push slot for the new left side. Note for all of that I am getting that you want to move a 700' long berm over farther away. It is not much different if you are transporting it long ways either. keep smooth and tight in the slot, and you can move a good sized wad along.

  2. #2Mark S2022-03-22 17:59

    I have done some learning with slot dozing. How do I start the slot with the slope of the sand pile being very steep? If I start in front of the pile, do I need to first level out the top portion of the pile? Or just reverse into the steep pile?

  3. #3bam19682022-03-22 20:02

    Like skyking said. Basically after you get a slot established then just keep shaving a little off the pile until you get far enough to start another slot. Alot of times you don't have to take every blade full the entire distance. Try going about 3/4 of the distance then back up and get another bite and use the 2nd push to finish pushing the 1st push. If your pushing uphill alot that method doesn't work as well alot of times.

  4. #4skyking12022-03-22 20:36

    if the hoe is still there soften the start with that. If not, remember that for next time, and just start biting into it till you get on top.

  5. #51466IH2022-03-22 21:31

    If room permits I would get on top of the pile and work it down to a more comfortable grade to start and then keep going with the slot dozing