Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8n engine removal

Kc cattle company · 2020-12-07 21:29

Was wondering was the best way is to go about removing engine from the frame so I can rebuild it in a shop

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2020-12-08 01:17

    Remove hood. Remove hardnose. (That will be fun, the pins will probably be seized) Lift engine and torque converter out as a unit.

  2. #2Dave Neubert2020-12-08 08:06

    Best of luck with those pins I have had to cut them out before

  3. #3Kc cattle company2020-12-08 11:05

    Do you remove both of the pins at the bottom and lift the hard nose right off or just the one closest the the engine and swivel the whole thing forward? @Nige

  4. #4Nige2020-12-08 11:17

    According to the D&A procedure - remove it complete which means all four pins come out. Maybe there is not enough space for the engine & converter to come out simply with it tilted as far forward as it will go. Don't know, never done a D8N engine but all the l;arge-size high drive tractors the engines come out pretty much the same way. As an aside we would pull the complete hardnose whatever the procedure said because if the engine was being rebuilt for sure the radiator and all the coolers would be getting rebuilt also, probably the lift cylinders as well. False economy not to if loadsamoney is being invested in an engine rebuild IMHO. Also rebuild the torque converter/torque divider while it's out.

  5. #5Nige2020-12-08 19:15

    If you post a Serial number I can find the Remove & Install procedure for the engine, and any other major bits that have to come out as well like the hardnose.

  6. #6John C.2020-12-08 19:46

    I've seen them removed just by tilting the nose. I agree with Nige on the economics of it.

  7. #7Kc cattle company2020-12-09 11:03

    Thanks for all the info and I found this tag in the cab hopefully it’s the correct numbers

  8. #8Nige2020-12-09 11:30

    It is. 9TC04555 is the machine Serial Number. The others are the engine and transmission Serial Numbers. Attached the procedutre for the hood, hardnose, & engine. The procedure calls for the hardnose to be tilted before removal.

  9. #9Kc cattle company2020-12-12 22:40

    Thanks for all your help. Will probably have more questions once I get deeper into the rebuild

  10. #10Nige2020-12-13 07:02

    With the amount of work you're planning to do (and the $ you will spend on parts) a service manual might be a good investment. You could always sell it after all the work is finished and probably get pretty much what you paid for it. The Cat Pulbication reference is SENR3405. Here is one on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAT-CATE...NUAL-9TC-1XJ-5TJ/224145419980?epid=1433584363 A brand-new paper one is $975, the same thing new on CD new is $535. https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=9TC

  11. #11kshansen2020-12-14 10:29

    Here's the link to it for US shoppers: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-CATERP...NUAL-9TC-1XJ-5TJ/224145419980?epid=1433584363 EDIT Sorry I missed that the OP was in the great white north! But seller does say they will ship to Canada! And yes for $300.00 I would say that is a hell of a bargain!