This one is probably more for the old hands, but here goes anyway. I have a Cat D7C 17A series, with the big old slow revving 4 cylinder in it. The beast has developed a leak from the head gasket area at the front of the motor, so I am guessing that this is a head off job. Thankfully there are two, two cylinder heads rather than one big one. Firstly are there any tricks I should know about before I remove the head? Secondly, does anyone have the head bolt torque procedure, (steps, order and torque) and the valve adjustment procedure, (order, clearance, timing marks and clearances). I may just try retorquing as the machine doesn't blow bubbles out the radiator, the oil is not milky and it runs strongly. Has anyone come across this before? What caused it? If somebody had a manual, I would be interested even.
Likely the oil seal on the lube oil furrel up to the rocker shaft. Later Bob
Ok, so that would be part number 6B6225 in my parts book, if I read it right there are 16 of them all up, 8 per head. Are they re usable, apart from the leaking one, or will I need to replace all 8 for the front head as well as the head gasket of course? Pardon my ignorance, but what does the ferrule and director actually do? Looking at the Head/block interface area, there are 2 gaskets shown, 7H9983 and 7H1582, what's the story there, there can't be two head gaskets per head. Can there? What would have caused the seal to fail. The machine had been parked for a while with no prior leakage from this area and then when worked again, it suddenly appeared.
Karl, there is the big head gasket and a smaller one around the push rods. The furrels are reuseable the seals aren't and there is one different furrel and seal, it's for the oil the rest are for coolant. If one is leaking it might be best to get a head gasket set and do both heads wjile you are at it. Later Bob
Karl, I have a service manual for a D7 17A. Let me know what section you need and I can scan it and send it to you
Thanks for the offer of the manual. I think I have one sorted though - I looked on Ebay and found a reprint that is currently in transit to me. If it doesn't work out though I will definitely be in touch.