serial# 94n8370-----(3n25287?)----arrangment 3p7734----(4n880?)engine-3306.......Just replaced trans oil and filter . Drains converter but did not take belly pan off to remove strainer in converter. Will not go into gear until I bump up the rpms.. once throttled I can hear the pump kick in and then it will go into drive and operate fine. I thought it was just new fluid and needed to be heated . How Many strainers are on the system? I don’t want to replace 600.00 worth of fluid if avoidable . Any ideas
Sounds like your transmission pump suction side is sucking air. Leaking gasket, leaking o-ring, something like that. Do you have an Operation & Maintenance (O&M) Manual..? If not then why not splash out on one.? For less than $50 you can get the manual on CD. It would answer pretty much all your questions. There are two screens BTW, one in the converter housing, the other in the power train oil lines. Changing the power train oil without removing and cleaning the suction screens is quite frankly ridiculous. For the sake of that bit of extra effort your oil change was a waste of time IMHO.
You’re correct! It was an error on my part . I have the operations manual and it only mentions trans filter change and location of drain plugs. It doesn’t mention screens in the trans side ...only filter. Where can you find a detailed manual cd? Can I remove the suction screen without the loss of all the fluid? I’m ok with losing 5 gal on the Torq side if I can drain it separately. I don’t even know where to find the suction screen because it’s a full cab with ac.
What is the publication reference of the manual you have..? Should be on either the front or back cover. The transmission suction screen is #10 in the diagram, right next to the pump. The problem you have right now appears to be an air leak into the suction side If air is leaking in, oil should be leaking out when the engine is stopped. So while you have the floor plate up, have a good look at the connections on both ends of the hose #35, the adapter #33, plus the elbows #36 and #13 in the area around the suction screen right as far as the inlet connection of the transmission pump. If you can see anything damp or dripping, that's probably your culprit. The kicker is that to get at anything in that area to replace an O-Ring or gasket the transmission oil will have to be drained........ TBH if I was going in there I would personally bite the bullet and replace every O-Ring/gasket right from the adapter #33 up to the transmission pump suction port. that way nothing is going to come back and bite you in the *** further down the road.
Agree 1,000% better to spend a few dollars more for some orings and gaskets today and be done with that area for a long time than to just replace the one or two you think is leaking today and have to go back in a week latter when something else starts causing problems. Unless someone replaced some of those seals recently they have all been subject to the same heat cycles and will all be getting hard and leaking.