My main clutch went out on me lately at the farm on my small Komatsu D20A - 5 dozer. I think because the steering clutches have been bogging it down is what caused it. I adjusted it out enough to load it up on the trailer and get it to the barn. I have searched the web but cant find anything about replacing the clutch or how to go about it. Not even sure where to start.. can anyone point me in the right direction ? Thanks Darrin
First off...you have a great name... I do have the directions and the parts for that machine so contact me when you get a chance or send me message with your email and I will send you the directions....talk soon.. Darin
Thanks Darin, feels strange spelling my name like that .. lol.. been hoping to get some kind of info on this, still in my shop and haven't really started on it because not sure how to remove it.. my email is [email protected] , Thanks Darrin Miranda
Heres what I got done so far. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/darrin64/IMG_2883.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/darrin64/IMG_2942.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/darrin64/IMG_2971.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/darrin64/IMG_2974.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/darrin64/IMG_2975.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/darrin64/IMG_2976.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/darrin64/IMG_2980.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/darrin64/IMG_2982.jpg Any suggestions while I have the whole clutch housing out?
Do these look worn to you? To me seems like they arent that bad.. how do you know if its the pressure plate? How can you check it? sorry guys I just really dont know what to look for.. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g...F-B94F-D499AAB1F88C-7272-00000C1FF094462E.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g...B-866D-9F7538C61255-7272-00000C1FED12BEC2.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g...5-9782-DBD87A7E6023-7272-00000C1FE97F3447.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g...0-8B6D-38AAE3441A47-7272-00000C1FE65FC834.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g...F-8A50-6EBE603932F9-7272-00000C1FE2E34A12.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g...B-9124-95E5F7B67520-7272-00000C1FDF63CD26.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g...C-9014-17ADA3EB09C8-7272-00000C1FDC624C1E.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g...9-B198-DE610424F026-7272-00000C1FD4F27E1A.jpg
Oil strainer was completely plugged... will that cause the clutch to slip or not engage..?
Sorry I can't help. Surely someone can. But I wanted to say your pictures are good for someone like me just learning. Thank you.
Thanks G, I talked to a mechanic today and showed him the clutch plates and pressure plates, he measured the fingers on the plate and thought it was fine.. the clutch plates still had alot of meat on them he said and were fine also. He and I both think its from the oil strainer being plugged completely up and the oil was low to begin with.. he said its like an automatic transmission, when theres no oil flowing the plates will slip, the oil cools the plates but also creates the friction. I am still gonna replace the clutch plates since I'm here. I cleaned up the case, took the hydraulic pump and pressure relief off, cleaned all the old oil residue out and put them back with new bolts since the others were pretty rusty on the outside. http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/darrin64/b2b37dd0-7775-4296-abd1-42ca29168228.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/darrin64/4877f445-fdb8-4305-81a3-6bd33a14d35a.jpg http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g145/darrin64/46631592-3c0e-45e0-9c59-be55c50e2ea6.jpg
I am not looking forward to doing what you have done so well in your nice clean cool shop in February. It is mid September 2013 and the temps here north of Waco Texas yesterday, were in the high 90's. I had started to clean out a neighbors stock pond, which looked bone dry. The top 10 inches of dirt were powder dry. The next 2 feet were black and brown slime. I had been at it for less than an hour and my little D20 started to hesitate. I was able to back out of the bottom and get it as far as the gate out of the pasture before it quit moving entirely. I was able to push it out of the way with my tiny Kubota B7500. It now sits back in the field where I rebuilt the steering clutches last winter. My neighbor who had originally asked me to clean out the stock tank graciously helped me by dragging the helpless critter back across the road with his old Massey 265 which would spin wheels every time I tried to change direction with the brakes. We took it back to where it has been living for the last several years under a hackberry tree. Since the steering clutches are new I'm not even going to think about pulling them out again. I wish I had read more of the manual before I decided to change them although in hindsight they were about trashed anyway. Last fall I tried to move her around and the steering clutches would not disengage. All I could think of was that they had gotten wet, rusted, and were stuck. Had I read the manual I would have first pulled the belly pan and cleaned out the main clutch pump strainer / filter. Because after I got it all back together after the steering clutch rebuild, the clutches still refused to disengage which after NOW reading the manual in depth it became clear that the steering clutches require about 200 PSI at the steering valve in order to disengage and after hooking up a pressure gauge to the test port there was no pressure at all. So I guess I learn by doing. I then cleaned out the strainer and all was revealed. The clutches worked fine after that. I did get some good pictures of the various stages of steering clutch rebuilding. I can tell you how to hold your mouth just right to get the steering brake mechanism back into the hole without fireworks. So now I will find a level place in the back pasture and jack her up again and follow the manual to the letter. I am intrigued by the statement by your mechanic that the main clutch plates only need oil to function. The manual says that the minimum thickness for the driven plates needs to be 4.7mm (.185 inches). How thick were your clutch plates and did they work when you reinstalled them? I have yet to pull the floor plate and see if the driveshaft turns the transmission but I fear the worst. If the drive shaft she no turn the tranny, the main clutch she be bad. Yes? Thanks for the great pictures of your clutch job. Oh and one last question. Were you able to reuse the big clutch case gasket which seals to the engine? John