Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8 N vs D155

CAT D8 N · 2009-05-29 17:54

Hi there... I was recently in an auction and was concedering buying a Dozer. I was torn between the D8 N High track and the D155.... I got mixed feed back from the people I asked, some recomended one and some the other. After inspecting all the Dozers for sale I settled on the D8 due to its good condition and the bad condition of the others. So what do you guys think?? I am still considering to buy another one and dont know which one to go for.

Replies43
  1. #1special tool2009-05-29 18:11

    I like Cat for tractors... Please post pics of your dozer, if you have 'em.:drinkup

  2. #2CAT D8 N2009-05-29 18:33

    Well lets see here... I'll try to post them now OK here we go... hope you like them

  3. #3pwrstroke6john2009-05-30 02:09

    nice looking dozer, you should be able too move a bit of dirt with that

  4. #4CAT D8 N2009-05-30 03:31

    Yup you got that right.... thanks for the complement...

  5. #5Motat2009-05-30 03:49

    I would have thought the 155 to be a much bigger machine ,more akin to a D9 especially concidering Cat downsized all there Nos some yrs ago.IE a Cat D8L is really now a D9 Perhaps im wrong ???? Regards

  6. #6CAT D8 N2009-05-30 04:05

    Well I dont know about the CAT downsize. but the D8 N I got is 1992 and as large as the 155 if not larger.

  7. #7willd8r2009-05-30 05:04

    I can assure you you have made the right decision, after 10000 plus hrs on a 8N on steep rocky hilly country they are reliable, stable, fuel efficient & a pleasure to spend 10 hrs in hopefully it is a latter one with the seperate pump for the diffsteer the 8R is smoother in the transmisson shift, the can push

  8. #8monalisa19842009-05-30 06:33

    a....I have D8N too, i do not know whether you will have an interest...

  9. #9monalisa19842009-05-30 07:01

    D8N Supply I have D8N for sale, they are good condition, you maybe be intereseted , if so, please contact me by XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Thanks and regards, Lisa Lisa, please read our Forum Rules, particularly the one about advertising, which begins: Aside from “For Sale” forum intended for the sale of member’s personally owned equipment , advertising of goods and services is not permitted unless sponsoring HeavyEquipmentForums If you wish to become a sponsor of Heavy Equipment Forums please use the "contact us" button found at the very bottom of every page.

  10. #109420pullpan2009-05-30 21:09

    my 2 cents

  11. #11Chris917862009-05-30 21:12

    :thumbsup :laugh

  12. #12willd8r2009-05-30 22:55

    no I don't have a interest but after 35000 hrs on dozers having driven the others an worked beside them you soon learn what is good and bad, most of the work has been roading for forestry operations

  13. #13CAT D8 N2009-05-31 02:31

    Your illustrated reply was hilarious.... loooool

  14. #14RonG2009-05-31 04:50

    What's funny about a Komatsu pulling a Caterpillar?LOL.Ron G

  15. #15CAT D8 N2009-06-01 09:03

    Well I would'nt want to be in the KOMATSU driving seat.. ..loool

  16. #16Boo_Radley2009-06-01 14:49

    The pic is hilarious. Somebody has some photoshop expertise. At least the Kom has an enclosed cab, the Cat op will get wet from the splash.

  17. #17special tool2009-06-01 15:41

    That picture is pretty funny. Who gets credit for it?

  18. #18Bigstevex42009-06-01 17:07

    THere both good machines. to say one is considrably better than the other is nonsence. i am amazed that some one would spend 100- 200grand on some thing with so little info. did you have some one take pressures oil samples do and undercarrage report. past history?

  19. #19stock2009-06-01 18:28

    Dozers are not my forte but looking at this picture I notice that this "R" has no top roller where the "N" has , those in the know might explain this inconsistency to me . Stock

  20. #20Chris917862009-06-01 18:42

    Just a different design considering those models have a large age gap.

  21. #21ben46a2009-06-01 19:14

    Well the top roller is optional, not sure why youd want to go without cause it extends track life considerably. We picked up two used D8Rs and one has the top rollers and one does not.

  22. #22Cmark2009-06-02 03:04

    From memory, no D8Ns came from the factory with carrier rollers. There was an optional procedure to retrofit them. It involved fabricating a mounting bracket and welding it to the track frame. I think the parts came in a kit.

  23. #23Bigstevex42009-06-02 09:33

    IT is an opstion that you should take advantage of the kit inclides the bracket and rollar. that upper track slapes up and down very bad with out it. after 30 years maybe cat can get it right. high tracks have always been a detrament from high center of gravety (only dozers ive ever seen on there side) to track life amount of componats but the speed in final and tran. R&R isa huge advantage.

  24. #24CAT D8 N2009-07-04 18:17

    Compairing high track with horizontal would you say that the hi is what % stronger in push and speed of geting the jobe done??

  25. #25Bigstevex42009-07-06 09:53

    Funny i would have never quessed you were a cat man. THe hi track was the result of making a machine with easly changed componats if the could have done it with out cat would still have horizontal tracks now have they some sales pitch that justifies why hi tracks are better of cource they have started offering smaller machines with out hi tracks. larger ones to follow? If you belive the d8 is a higher production machine than a 155 ime not going to change your mind.

  26. #26MrKomatsu2009-07-06 17:13

    Me in KIlgore D575SD vs. D9 :usa:usa View attachment 44024

  27. #27CAT D8 N2009-07-06 17:17

    Well I think my handle through you off there.....:tong being a CAT man ... I am very very very new to the machine business and have never got on the seat of a heavy pieve of equip more than a few months ago so I have tons of things to learn..... My only preference to CAT is due to its popularity here and its baisicaly built to work for ever and is a cashable check in your pocket at all times. Back to performance... whats your prefrence 155 or D8 and why? thanks..

  28. #28MrKomatsu2009-07-06 17:17

    CatEater...........lol This is my gurl............Komatsu D575SD.....OH YEAH....YA'LL KNOW ur drooling...later..keep the peace guys and gals....(((((((HEO GIRL)))))))):usa

  29. #29MrKomatsu2009-07-06 17:30

    My Gurl........she's very sexy.......... :usa

  30. #30hicrop102009-07-06 17:59

    From my point of view,I would have to say you made the right move.Over the years we have had both D155,D8H,D8K,D8L.If you are looking the move the most amount of dirt in a day you would want the D8L then the D155.The 155's will out push any of the D8's except for the D8L.We had them in a push off.But when the D155's get some hours on them then the Cat will really out shine the !55.Parts aren't to easy to get when say the machine is 10 years old.If your dealer is not a really good one then you will be **** out of luck.We had a couple of those D155S track loaders,they were real aminals with there 6 yard bucket,but we had to wait for 8 weeks before the dealer could get a bucket levalor for it,they said it was comming from Japan.

  31. #31D1552009-07-06 18:47

    The D8L is bigger than the D155.

  32. #32Bigstevex42009-07-07 12:55

    I have worked for a komatsu dealer as of jan 22 09 for 30 years so might be a little 1 sided. i am always amused about part stories we did a total rebuilt on a 988g for a customer last year and waited over 3 months for a piston assembly for the main pump to come from austria. cat back orders parts also! Ime not on the sales end of things but we have some old hard core cat guys who are perfictly satisfied with new 155 sigma.

  33. #33Tony2009-07-07 13:54

    I find nothing more amusing than when a diehard Cat guy, who has never even been in a Komatsu dozer , says "Cat's better". The parts issues that you guys allude to is pure b.s....every, and I mean EVERY OEM has parts backorder issues. It's not just Komatsu. The D155AX-6 is every bit, if not more productive than the D8T, and it costs less to own and operate. That is a fact, like it or not. Show us some documentation of your "backorder" stories if you have them, and stop making false claims just because you are a "CAT man". While Cat is busy racing NASCAR and making cute 'lil workboots, Komatsu is putting leading edge technology in the marketplace. If you're open minded enough and not duped by Cat's ridiculously expensive marketing, you'll try a Komatsu. You'd be very impressed.

  34. #34alco2009-07-07 14:26

    Well guys, feel free to discount what I have to say because I cannot provide any documentation. The company I work for does not freely give paperwork to employees who do not need it, and to disclose internal documents without authorisation from the PR department would lead to instant termination. I don't know about you, but I'm not willing to give up $150,000 plus per year for that. I agree that everyone has parts back order issues, but for us, the issues seem to be strongest with Komatsu, followed by Hitachi, and then others, including Cat. It seems like our Komatsu machines spend most of their shop time waiting for parts. We have a newer WA600 that broke down in front of the shop before it even went to work, and it spent around 3 weeks waiting for the parts so it could wear the first paint off of it's bucket. Our D475 dozer can hardly make a shift without needing parts of some sort, and it usually seems to have to wait for them. The same is true about our D155 dozers. I am not sure what series they are. We have many smaller Komatsu loaders, most are WA380 machines we use for utility work. They are a nice loader, but seem to be wearing out really fast. On the plus side, parts availability for them seems to be quite good. A major contractor of ours tried one of the big graders Komatsu makes. Their fleet manager used to work for the Komatsu mining dealer here, so he has been trying to steer the fleet to be more Komatsu oriented. Even they had to get rid of it, as they just couldn't keep it running long enough to justify having it...mostly due to parts issues. They also have two PC1250s and an older PC1100. The PC1250s spent a very good portion of 2007 sitting, gathering rust.....waiting for parts. So much so that they went out and bought an EX1200 to fill in for them while they waited. They ran the EX1200 and PC1100 non stop to try and keep the operation going. One PC1250 was down for almost 6 months waiting for something for the hydraulics, and the other was down for 3 or 4 months for the basically the same thing. I have a hard time swallowing the line that "The parts issues that you guys allude to is pure b.s...." I have seen it time and time again with my own eyes, and while I do not have access to the documentation you ask for, it does not make it any less true. I am FAR from being a Cat man...very, very far. But there are most certainly issues with Komatsu's parts distribution network if these things keep happening to us. I am sorry that this is most likely not what you want to hear, but I am not about to go along smiling and nodding just to keep someone happy. Brian

  35. #35Burnout2009-07-07 14:50

    I'll side with alco on this one, our company has had its own issues with its Komatsu iron. Our 2 475's have had major issues, I rarely have heard of both of them being running at the same time. Our 375's have had better luck but not by much. Our 155's have been decent but age quickly trying to work with buggies. We do Do have a nice little fleet of D85's from old school 85E's to the new units. I think the newest is a 2007 PX? I have run the 475's a bit, the 155 and quite a few days in the 85's. I will admit our new 85 is a great little pusher. Very solid, tons of power but a cheap cab. We also have some excavators from a PC270 to a few PC1250's. The 1250's have been decent machines, but one of them was down for almost 4 months last year sitting at the dealership and it was barely into the triple digits for hours. While our new 1250 was down the old school 1100BX had to be ressurrected to take up the workload. Our 800's and 750's have been good machines but once again.... age quickly. We have a few Komatsu loaders from the WA450's to a couple 600's and I believe an 800 at one of the mines. They are good machines, all have had teething issues but Cat equipment is no different. I am by far not a Cat man (unless it comes to my 973) but I'll be honest I am really not a Komatsu fan. Our dozers have had issues but its hard to compare them first hand for myself with new Cat dozers. We are a company that doesn't run new Cat dozers, at least not many of them. We have a few T models but for the most part the production machines are and will be the R's and N's. Now if someone from big K wants to send me a new Komatsu dozer to beat on for awhile..... pm me for the address. Just see to it this machine has a decent stereo. Stop with this crap that doesnt get reception on any station but EZ listening.

  36. #36Bigstevex42009-07-09 10:36

    Sounds more like you guys have dealer/ maintanace problems . having worked for a komatsu dealer for 30 years a new 600 setting for 3 weeks waiting for parts. on the job. wouldnt happen here. I can jackpot broken down cat stories all day long with you. i have seen internal data for machine availability. I deal daily with such issues. any way i know better.

  37. #37alco2009-07-09 12:31

    I never said Cat didn't have problems too, as a matter of fact, I did say they they had issues too. Not sure how a brand new machine would be a maintenance issue, or how the dealer not being able to get parts from Komatsu would be a dealer issue, but whatever, sounds like you know our situation better than we do. This whole scenario has been the same with three different dealers that I have personally dealt with, so it must be the dealer. Especially since one of the dealers was owned by Komatsu themselves. Brian

  38. #38CAT D8 N2009-07-12 18:34

    Thats one good looking piece of equipment MrKomatsu.... wouldnt blame you to fall in love with it....

  39. #39MrKomatsu2009-07-13 08:30

    thank you.......

  40. #40Burnout2009-07-13 23:24

    I can tell you broken down Cat stories as well... lets trade sometime...lol As for maintenance issues.. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a company with a maintenance program as good as ours. This company takes care of its iron. As for dealer support, our dealer is a pretty big one. As for dealer issues lets just say when this company says jump.... they jump. Maybe not as high as the company alco works for. But we aren't billy bobs backhoe service. Cat has issues, Komatsu has issues, Deere has issues, find me someone who doesn't. Komatsu stands out for us. I can tell you one thing though.... the D87P we have on site.... is a piece of crap...lol

  41. #41CAT D8 N2009-09-12 20:59

    Can we finaly say that CAT is better than Komatsu???

  42. #42Greg2009-09-12 22:26

    Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

  43. #43Greg2009-09-12 22:28

    :usaLOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get it over the edge and down the hill.:notworthy:drinkup