Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What the?

Chris91786 ยท 2009-05-28 21:07

A buddy emailed me this picture. What is this on the top of the cab? Some kind of massive cooling system like for hydraulics or powertrain?

Replies27
  1. #1micbare2009-05-28 21:24

    I wonder if it is for something they are pulling with the machine? Do you know what they are towing?:beatsme

  2. #2willie592009-05-28 21:36

    I don't know what they're pulling...but it looks heavy! I take a guess it a big bohunkin' oil cooler for the tranny oil.

  3. #3Chris917862009-05-28 21:48

    No clue what it's towing

  4. #4RTSmith2009-05-28 21:54

    Did make for a great location for some lights though...

  5. #5HeyUvaVT2009-05-28 22:03

    looks like a power pack of some type

  6. #6DPete2009-05-28 22:10

    I think that's a pull ripper they are pulling, I'm with ATCO on the tranny cooler

  7. #7hvy 1ton2009-05-28 22:15

    If i remember correct the whole cooling package is up there. Some guy stuck a massive cat motor, not that the stock one was small, in it just for doing deep ripping jobs. I think Deas or maybe another aussie posted up a scanned article a while back.

  8. #8kanewolf2009-05-28 22:25

    Here is the scoop from DHS Diecast Forums http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=116931

  9. #9CAT7932009-05-29 04:07

    The whole cooling group is up there because OL MATE pulled the 3508 out and Re-Powered it with a 3512. It is used to tow a Ground Leveling device!

  10. #10willd8r2009-05-29 04:55

    I believe it's 1200 hp hence the extra cooling. I did hear that they were or are going to build a 2000 hp one, it rips or plows paddocks

  11. #11Peter Kennedy2009-05-29 06:34

    Its a modified D11 and it is used to pull a 15 meter blade plough. It is owned by a former boss of mine Don Mearns Peter

  12. #12CAT7932009-05-29 07:06

    Hi Peter, Did the engine come out of a 785 Dumpy or was it a Genset/Stationary application? Did it fulfil its designed purpose? Love to hear any yarns you have on the BIG GIRL?

  13. #13stumpjumper832009-05-29 07:29

    15 meter... you dont bring her in for a 5 acre pasture...

  14. #14Chris917862009-05-29 17:46

    That's crazy, thanks for the link to that info

  15. #15bear2009-05-30 03:16

    The pics of that ripper remind me of little red riding hood "my grandma, what big teeth you have!" I would like to know more as well Mr Kennedy if yer willing to share.

  16. #16OneWelder2009-05-30 11:52

    I thought it must be one them signs with arrow on it - tell the scrappers which side to pass on

  17. #17AtlasRob2009-05-30 15:55

    :lmao :lmao :falldownlaugh Anybody who aint done muckshift will have had that pass clean over thier heads

  18. #18Peter Kennedy2009-05-31 19:28

    Hey 793 I am not sure where or what the motor came from but I asure you whatever Don does he does it well. He has been in the contracting game a long time and has some brilliant people working for him. All the best to you mate Where are you in Oz ?? Pete

  19. #19Spanrz2009-06-10 04:56

    Haven't posted in ages, but here's my 2 bobs worth. I like the idea/concept of it, looks like the engine and powertrain will be on full noise most of the time, hence the lovely cooling package. Funny enough, I love his mounting system, what was once a certified ROPS structure *now decertified*

  20. #20Gavin84w2009-06-10 06:13

    The function of the ROPS would in every other application than this really be required but if you fall a tractor that big over while ploughing big flat queensland paddocks you probably deserve to get beat up, reality is not any jockey will be put in the saddle of such a unique machine. I had heard that the engine came from a 785 truck and is insatalled with the lock up convertor from the truck so the machine has a direct drive for those long runs. I also heard he was thinking of a 3516 to go in one aswell though i suspect that combo may be a bit to long for the chassis that already has 2 foot extra in it. Word was minimal f/d issues as well but think of the duty cycle and that makes sense, no full throttle directional changes just constant forward.

  21. #213thirteen2009-06-18 19:23

    Interesting set up. It reminds me of the first time I saw a tar sands D8R. They relocate the cooling system to the ROPS/FOPS so they can work in the settling ponds without worry of clogging the coolers. A 3516 might be a tough sell in that chassis. I guess if you have the money......

  22. #22oversize2009-06-25 06:49

    I work for haulage company and was talking with one of the other drivers and here was telling me about this machine thank you for posting

  23. #23WhissellHDtech2009-06-25 19:08

    dont they usually mount all the cooling stuff (rad/hyd./trans/ac) on the roof when the machine is expected to be submerged to the coolers in water/mud? Thats my understanding of the fancy cat hat anyways

  24. #243thirteen2009-06-28 02:11

    Yeah, our Calgary shop did a D8R rebuild for Syncrude. The machine worked the ponds and had its radiator relocated to the roof. Different set up though. The radiators were small rectangular boxes basically with small two or three small fans for airflow. I personally didn't work on that machine so I can't really explain the ins and outs of that set up.

  25. #25ayrhead2009-06-28 11:31

    Don't know what it is BUT I WANT ONE

  26. #26WhissellHDtech2009-06-29 21:38

    It just keeps the gunk out of the coolers to allow the machine to run at a safe temp even when its up to the doors in water or mud, Looks mean though!

  27. #27ben46a2009-06-29 22:09

    WhissellHDtech In most cases that is true, just this instance the bloke who built the tractor put it there as there was no other room. 3thirteen Are you with finning too? I work at Branch 40 mildred lake and weve got loads of Tailings dozers to work on. The coolant is directed from the engine through the ROPS to the rooftop cooling package and back to the engine through the other side of the ROPS. Intercooler and AC condenser are up there as well.