Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8H D342 injector pump

Jasoncarlon · 2020-10-28 05:56

Hi, I am currently looking at a D8H with the D342 in it. Serial number 46A16257, it has a lot of diesel entering the sump, I would think pump shaft seal In most engines usually, but the set up it I am unfamiliar with, is there anything else on these engines that would cause the same issue? I’m chasing some info on pump removal etc for these. I have no experience with an engine of this vintage. Cheers.

Replies8
  1. #156wrench2020-10-28 10:36

    first, check the seals on the fuel transfer pump, if i remember correctly, they are spring loaded packings on the shaft of the gear pump, it should be located near the the service meter at the bottom of the accessory drive/injection pump

  2. #2kshansen2020-10-28 10:44
  3. #3Jasoncarlon2020-10-28 18:13

    Cheers, I will give it a look into first. Have been told it has been sitting in the shed for almost 2 years unused, so anything is possible really haha, seals drying out etc.

  4. #4Old Magnet2020-10-28 19:47

    All those early transfer pumps have a tell tale drain line that drains the seal cavity if the seal/s should leak. Check to make sure that mud dobers have not plugged the drain line.

  5. #5kshansen2020-10-29 10:07

    Those "buggers" can also cause a pain with water pumps too!

  6. #6tctractors2020-11-01 15:15

    I would think by your Serial No you have the big injector pump, it's well worth checking inside the flat plate to see if there is any fuel in the case, fuel can enter the sump via a few routes that have drain lines on them that can block up. Tctractors.

  7. #7Jasoncarlon2020-11-02 02:24

    Ah righto, too easy I’ll give it a look into when I get back to it hopefully tomorrow, cheers

  8. #8Jasoncarlon2020-11-02 02:26

    Yeah mate sounds about right. Is that flat plate on the side of it is it? Can’t remember off the top of my head, I’m sure I will find it though aha, Cheers