After running 9 68A D8H's I still don't have a parts book on the hydraulic system .I have obviously changed filters in the tank in the past and a few pump cartridges but have never had anything go wrong with them.I am currently doing a 68A (46A) of about 1974 build and need the big square o'ring part number please.I used my D8K book thinking the seal might be the same but I was wrong. Many thanks in advance.
Do you have the hyd. control arrangement number? Something like 4J9450? Also where is this large square oring located?
Sorry Kshansen,I forgot to mention that it's just the big seal that fits into the big filter lid that screws into the tank.It needs to be square edged.The D8K seal id just a normal o'ring
Just guessing as without the Model number of the control I can't be sure but does the cover have a single bolt in the center to hold it on? Would this seal/gasket measure 149.22 mm ID, 3.05 thick and 5.97 wide? Part number for that one is 4K1557
For a D8H it will be a 183 Hydraulic control, but not sure if it's the B version or not. As KSH says a Serial Number for the control would nail it down pat.
yes it does and your description seems about right.I will get the number or post a pic this week.thanks
Nige it is 183 .The serial number of the tractor is 68A 5800 approx. amongst last made about 1974.Hope it is of help.TC is away with his wife and I don't want to bother him for his parts book.
It was the S/N of the hydraulic control I was looking for rather than the tractor S/N. However I think KSH got it when he came up with the 4K-1557, it is listed as a gasket rather than a seal. Check your filter housing cover groove for the measurements KSH gave above.
Hope these help lads.
Best I can tell as the 84P1776 does not show in my SIS but going by another 183B tank I get the following numbers for that style cover: The large seal ring for the cover to tank is 4K1557 The oring seals on the center bolt, they call for two, are 6F4855 The slotted head screw, I belive this is the bleeder for filter, seal is a 6F5559 Then that large hex nut thing is an indicator that has been painted over the indicator is 6J0468 and it's seal is a 2M9780 Hope this helps.
Many thanks to you both.will order bits up.
My system does show that S/N of 183B Hydraulic Control which was part of a UK-built D8H and confirms that (as usual) KSH is right on the button with his numbers. Nicky, Tell Tony to get off his arse and back to work. I didn't think he was allowed to take holidays ...........
Nige,he has been slacking reacently only working 7 days a week.I paid him 24 hours straight through the other week and he mumbled something about me short changing him as he worked through his dinner hour......... I have ordered the parts from Finnings.
Must be SIS from USA does not show the equipment not intended for US sales. I can find several 183B controls but the 84P S/N comes up as "not found"
Very sorry to bother you all again But need filter part number.my 183b parts book shows d8k only and it must be taller as it doesnt fit .i guess a d8h parts book is just 183 or 183a???
What Part Number are you trying that doesn't fit - 4J-6064 ..?
As I said before my SIS does not list you S/N but I looked at a few and one shows a Cat Filter number 4J6064 which should measure 5.08 OD, 3.35 ID, and 9.02 Tall. The other filter I see for other 183B's is a 9J0750 That one should measure 5.07 OD, 3.34 ID and 11 Tall. Dimensions all in inches as still used over in the Colonies of North America!
Does your tank take 1 or 2 filter elements..? You say the one you have is too tall, we need to know the Part Number or at the very least the measurements. As KSH says, 4J-6064 is 9" tall x 5" O/D, if you want something shorter than that then 1R-0735 (latest generation number) is 7" tall x 5" O/D.
Kshansen,The seal number you gave was perfect and is now installed.Many thanks for that.The filter I had ordered was(I don't have the part number right now on me) was from the D8K 183B parts book and is 11'' tall.I will now order the 9'' tall filter 4J6064 and refit it. Nige.This type tank has just the one element and I reckon kSH has nailed the problem for me.I have simply made the stupid mistake of assuming the D8K 183B filter and top seal would fit the D8H 183B tank.Well it didn't and it sent me down a pathway of almost comical errors.......Because it wouldn't quiet just fit I thought something must be out of place in the tank,so went to get the tool box out...........I found nothing untowards so took the cap assembly into the workshop to have a better look as I wondered if something was fowling springs.True enough,I did spot a little dowel like object with a biro spring attatched to it that was caught up in the big springs and decided to remove the roll pin that was keeping it all together.......... Now then,I am not entirely stupid and didn't think that there would be big tension on those springs but stood well back as I pulled it out as a precaution.Hell fire,it let go good style. By the time I got the step ladders out and removed some of the bits from the workshop ceiling,it occurred to me that I was going to receive some flack from TC tractors when he saw what I'd done but to be fair to him,there was abit of eyebrow raising and lip pursing but no verbs from him.He put it all back together(once I'd found a plate that had landed in my spare boots) and told me to get the right filter....... He manged to install a torque convertor and a transmission that day pretty much by himself and all I had to do was change the bloody filter...!
Nicky 68a, Could you do us a big favor and next time you are in the shop? Set up a video camera before starting work:tong Sounds like you went to the Monty Python school of heavy equipment mechanics
That could have been an "Open All Hours" sketch. However I can't imagine TC tractors playing Granville ........
Nicky needs a sign I saw some place years ago said something to the effect, "If it ain't broke keep fixing it till it is!" Just funnin' on ya Nicky! Hope I was of some help. If you ever need the part number for a brake light switch on a 988 87A I know where that is hide in the parts book, even had a Cat dealer call and ask me for one of their customers! Hint it's not in the electrical section.
many thanks to you both.I am pretty good at fixing them until they are broke.I have tried neglecting them in the past,but they still break down.They even break down when they are parked up. To be fair they are all long in the tooth now but are pretty tidy,half deacent tractors that just about stay in profit thanks to me finding the right work for them and having a good man on the spanners.
I also run some of them new fangled hi drive things that have daft electric bits on them