i bought a John Deere 450B recently, I have a few questions about it if somebody could please answer them. How do I tell what year it is ? I tried the serial number tag right below the seat and couldnt find anything. The Next question are the steering clutches in this machine wet or dry ? If wet where do I drain and fill and what fluid and how much? Final question on the rear sprocket on each side of the machine there is a 3/4 plug above each sprocket what is that for?
Year doesn't really matter, serial number and model do. I believe it has dry clutches and that plug is to put oil in the finals.
I have a 450B trackloader. Dry steering clutches. On mine, the plug you're asking about is for a lock bolt to the quill shaft. The 3-bolt cover on the side is your brake adjust,eat cover. Darryl
Apparently there were a few 450 bs that had wet clutches before the swap to 450 c ... I have located a serial number chart and my serial number is not located on it from 60's to 80's Here is my serial number. SNT 5F3M 016243T ???
This little cover on the side tells me it is dry clutches.
became the owner of a broken 350b about a dozen years ago, it came with some property we bought. simular to 450b. if you start looking thru parts books and compare harness ser break , inside vs out side blade mount and other items you can figure the year pretty close. had oil on one side clutch, some body added maybe thought it would stop dics from sticking. later sintered discs might be better but probably meant for wet clutches. clutches and brakes took much maintanence.