as a pull horse, what are the major drawbacks to the d8h? prob. will only see 100 hrs of actual pushing a year, mostly pulling a tile plow. our ground pulls fairly easy, just trying to eliminate the extra pull tractor needed sometimes. according to a toughquip and ironrecord weights are really different, maybe as much as 10k lbs? can someone verify the difference between the two? looks like $10-15k difference in price between models, any input appreciated
i CAN'T SEE ANY MAJOR DRAWBACKS FOR YOU APPLICATION, ARE THEY BOTH ELECTRIC START? i CAN ONLY SEE COLD WEATHER STARTING AS BEING AN INCONVENIENCE A SMALL PROBLEM, AN h IS ONE HELL OF A WORKHORSE SO DO NOT LET PEOPLE TALK IT DOWN
is the K the lighter weight ???
D8K is lighter than the D8H by 3 0r 4 thousand lbs but it depends on how they are equipped
You are wrong there ... D8k is 70,000 pd machine... and 8h is considerably lighter at around 55,000
I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that when the specs were released by Cat, the operating weight of a H didn't include the blade and the K did. That is why there is such a big gap in the weights of the two machines.
in my readings, a 8h weighs 48k just the tractor, 57-59k ish with blade, im just making sure the 8k weighs 70k or was that with a ripper also maybe? trying to run down the 10k lbs difference.... also was the 270hp 8h a pretty reliable rig, compared to the 8k.....thks
I was poking around for info on those units as well, just out of pure interest. Searching for d8k or d8h using the search tool doesn't work here. Maybe someone can link us up with existing threads on those two machines.
I have owned both a D8H 46A series and a D8K 77V series, the K is a beefed up H ,more horsepower ,heavier machine ,a bit larger blade, they both are good tractors, the K is a bit easier to operate because they changed the steering clutch and brakes, so they can be controlled by the steering clutch levers. they are tough old machines you wouldn't go wrong with either one. Don
loggah, that you owned both, do you fell there is 5k or 10-12k weight difference between the two? both had plenty of power right? at 15-17k difference in price, both pretty cherry, is the k worth the premium ? thks
The thing about buying the K model is it does operate easier, and the cost is relative,when you go to sell it you will get that much more in resale. either one will do what you want as long as the grousers and undercarrige are in good condition. Don
how long will a 50-60% left undercarrage last on a d8?
It all depends on what type of dirt you're running in. Sandy soils will eat an U/C up a lot faster than anything else because it's abrasive. I think black gumbo is one of the easiest on an U/C. I don't have sand where I'm from, but I think I've heard that it can wear new U/C out in as little as 1600 hrs. In the black gumbo, I think you could get close to 6000 hours.
farmer, If you are really going to use it only a 100hrs a year i/m assuming pulling a tile plow are walking in loam or on top of the soil that hasn't been disturbed. This will make the undercarrige last pretty well ,plus you must be going fairly straight ,this will help also. at 100 hrs a year you will get years out of the machine.
i would be pushing/ clearing 75-100 hrs a year, tile plow prob another 100-150 hours a year on ave. all silt loam.95% straight pulls....sounds like id still get alot of use out of it still.
I don't want to steal this thread, but i am wondering about getting something smaller than an 8. Are there any smaller dozers out there that have a reputation like th 8H/K's for reliable, durable, easy to work on? I'm thinking a 6 or smaller.
alot of 6c's around here, pretty good reputation...i think a 6d would be in the same boat, not sure though
farmer, I know buying a big cat to use for a couple hundred hours a year is pretty expensive. i ended up getting rid of my K because the job i used to do for a big company ended, it was in such good shape and worth more to sell it and get a big cheaper tractor that i would only use a few weeks a year. i ended up selling the K and with the money from it i bought a 275B Michigan loader ,and a D 155A komatsu. now i don't mind them sitting around usually i have something to do with one of them. the komatsu was 1/2 the price of the K and will do almost twice the work !!!!! Don
with some shopping im finding d8h's for 12-22k and k's for 28-45k, hard to find cheaper hp to pull my plow. i pull it with 400k worth of farm tractors now, and would hate to hurt my farm tractors doing a job...im not really setup to haul anything over 75-80k as of right now, otherwise id have a d9g, alot of them for 15-25k that are in real nice shape.....i looked at acouple t25g's, and a d155, but they weigh alittle too much
No doubt you would. I think I have the best of both worlds here in one of my D8's. It is a D8H with a 300 HP Cat 342 spacer plate engine in it. Have D8H with the 270 horse and D8K also. I seem to like this one the best of the bunch.