Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8H video This is how a real dozer sounds….

83Jim · 2013-02-04 16:08

and looks. IMHO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AstvMi9iIAo Just plain old school cool.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies23
  1. #1John C.2013-02-04 21:44

    I've never seen an 8H with a cable control before. That machine looks to me like a 14A.

  2. #2DPete2013-02-04 22:02

    Cable control John?? I see a 46A, early 270 hp converted to direct start or a 235 horse with a heart transplant and a butt ugly top

  3. #3grandpa2013-02-04 22:14

    And it sure looks like lift cylinders bolted to the hardnose to me.

  4. #4John C.2013-02-04 23:42

    Must have been a long day. I saw the tilt hose, the pipe canopy and the video would only run a couple of seconds at a time and I just shut it down. Even the sound wouldn't run right for more than a second or two. Next time

  5. #5wheelie2013-02-05 00:17

    everybody seeing this video different..I am missing the direct start, and sure I hear a pony..:beatsme

  6. #6OzDozer2013-02-05 02:34

    That's the saddest set of virtually grouserless tracks I've seen on any tractor in many a year. I'm surprised the old girl can even push that decent bladeful with such poor undercarriage. Another sight that makes me grind my teeth is watching an operator heave on a steering clutch lever, stand mightily on the brake, lock up the track solid - then do a 270° turn with the track completely locked. If that operator was working for me, he'd be off that tractor in 10 seconds and walking down the road looking for a new job. That is absolute murder on undercarriage & track frame to do a major turn like that. If the operator was even half an operator, he'd be planning his moves so he didn't have to turn through that amount of degrees, anyway.

  7. #751kw2013-02-05 08:49

    Electric start and a very sorry excuse for an operator.

  8. #8Dickjr.2013-02-05 09:21

    I watched a short bit of it. These old machines are unique for sure. I had a late model D6H , when it busted off , kind of a rumble then to a sweet idle. I loved that thing , but it was like being married and she couldn't control her spending.

  9. #9Bruce Higgins2013-02-05 12:02

    This video reminds me of someone with a very wore out dozer trying to sell it to someone who has never operated one.

  10. #10stinkycat2013-02-05 18:18

    I heard the pony motor running and the compression release closed main starts. Tracks and sprockets were worn out.And yes wayyyy to much steering clutch/brake being used and it was a hyd. blade the blade control was on the right side on the deck,looks the operator was riding the brake. But ugly yes but I would take if someone offered

  11. #11stinkycat2013-02-05 18:29

    DPete hearing aids in replayed video the you are right electric start I guess the 2 batt. boxes should have been a clue

  12. #12DPete2013-02-05 18:33

    Compression release yes, pony engine no, take another look at the left side of the engine, there is no starting engine and you can see the 2 8D batteries on the fender. He spun the engine with the comp release on then put it in run while cranking.

  13. #13grandpa2013-02-05 19:32

    The canopy could very well be an early model Fleco....

  14. #14dozer darc2013-02-05 21:34

    hey how about the left track snap about 57 seconds in - nice. that machine was an electric start conversion I think , it still has the clutch engagement lever there on the left also you can see the little pony stack sticking up there by the air breather and the gas cap in front of control panel. I agree with ozdozer, that dude runs a dozer like old people f@$#!@

  15. #15dozer darc2013-02-05 21:45

    would any body know by this serial # what year this D9G is ? 66A4274 I think between late 64 and early 66 but I don't know. Its a machine i'm looking at cat has no records prior to 1970 anymore, at least around here.

  16. #16OzDozer2013-02-05 21:47

    Bruce, that is a classic statement that deserves an award! :thumbsup:

  17. #17OzDozer2013-02-05 21:55

    Dozer darc, that S/N makes the tractor a 1966 year of build (S/No's 66A03902 - 66A05096).

  18. #18oldirt2013-02-05 22:46

    the tractor is 47 years old and someone thinks it should be like new and driven by someone who is not supposed to show that the steering clutches/brakes work, which was what the op was directed to do. looked like it ran just fine to me, considering.

  19. #19Dozerboy2013-02-06 08:27

    Yep some people like to pick things apart around here. Thats a sweet old dozer in rough shape, but it sounded like a dozer should sound.

  20. #2083Jim2013-02-06 10:02

    Finally! This was my point for posting the video to begin with. That being said, I am always amazed at the analysis and perspective available on this forum. I mean there were alot of great comments and observations that I never anticipated. Next time I have a chance, maybe I will post a video here for openly and honestly critiquing of my skills at operating a machine. Or maybe I'll just leave that for coworkers to do behind my back. LOL

  21. #21Dozerboy2013-02-06 11:31

    I agree, but tell us how you would run a guy off for operating something like is a wast of time. Thats not really a shot at you Ozdozer you post was informative. Got to love coworkers, if you don't like something tell me to my face. Even our supers do it and it drives me nuts. Do your job and tell them what they are doing wrong!

  22. #22Budaboy2013-02-08 23:07

    Yep, thats the story that happened to me back in 1983. An old guy sold me a HD6B Allis dozer with a worn undercarriage. I had never run a dozer. Looked a several. Bought the HD6B. Paid six grand. He pushed some dirt with it. I was given a 20 minute lesson on it and have used it for the last 30 plus years on my 5 acres. Put both Rt and left clutch packs in and a front crank seal and lotsa oil changes. I watch over it and don't over work it but it always starts and runs to get the job done. So lets not knock this D8 Vid. Hopefully someone will buy it and take care of it for the next 30 years and keep it from going to China!

  23. #2383Jim2013-02-09 10:06

    Good point and thanks for HD6 photos. Looks pretty comparable to my D4D. I always did like the design style of that generation AC iron. Most of us are looking to get the best/most machine for the money and some times that comes down to what we need/want one for. Any machine can be a money pit. Which is expecially problematic if you depend on it to make a living. Best scenario is like yours, working around the ol' homestead. Probably need a few more acres to free range a D8 on and all.