Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8K Clutch Problem

Mattman89 · 2020-07-14 16:30

I just replaced the engine clutch on a D8K direct drive and the machine moves, but only when I pull the hand clutch back and keep pressure on it. If not, the handle falls back forward and the dozer stops. I can’t feel and detent or where it should click into place. I follow the cat sis procedure for removal and install, checked all fluids and returned all linkage to factory cat spec. Any ideas what’s going on?!?

Replies10
  1. #1catman132020-07-15 00:28

    sounds like the clutch is adjusted up to far and it cant snap over center and stay engaged, try backing the adjuster back some

  2. #2Mattman892020-07-15 13:14

    I’ve tried that. I spun it out until it was about fall off the threads and it acted the same Matt

  3. #3John C.2020-07-15 14:06

    Did you try going the other way with it?

  4. #4dozr2020-07-15 16:47

    dont know on d8k but d5 and d69u should be fifty pound of pull on lever, never went that tight because made for long day, but i would try adjusting again.

  5. #5Mattman892020-07-15 17:53

    I went all the way in with it until I was baring the engine over and it wouldn’t slow down enough to let me put it in gear, yet when I started it in gear, I would still need to pull it back to move, even though it acted like it was permanently engaged

  6. #6Mattman892020-07-15 17:54

    SIS says 75 pounds pull. But I get nothing and then it just stops, I can’t feel it over certering, night try backing it off again

  7. #7catman132020-07-15 19:33

    can you post a picture of the adjustment and over all clutch

  8. #8Mattman892020-07-15 20:37
  9. #9catman132020-07-16 01:32

    did you maybe put the pressure plate in backwards

  10. #10Bluox2020-07-16 14:15

    Looks like the throw out bearing is over center in the picture. you can't adjust the clutch unless the throw out is released. The clutch leaver is 175 # pull with the motor off. Bob