Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8k Transmission Oil change

Mccahilldozing ยท 2011-07-22 15:48

Today I went through my D8k and changed all the fluids in the transmission and torque converter. The transmission screen that has the magnets in it was somewhat clean. I found a few small brass particles in the screen and there is always a coating of small metal on the magnets. The CAT dealer said that is normal and probably came from the steering clutches. I also pulled the screen that goes to the torque converter and found it to be clean. The only issue that I found was on the magnetic drain plug to the torque converter. I found several slivers of metal that were about an inch long to inch and a half long. I am not sure where that came from. The tractor runs good in all gears and the torque converter is not running hot. Any ideas?

Replies3
  1. #1grandpa2011-07-22 19:57

    Take a pump pressure... don''t remember what the pres. is supposed to be but have went thru two on my 8k in the last 20 years... but no basic tranny problems

  2. #2AmerIndependent2011-07-30 13:09

    Any chance you could post a picture of the slivers?

  3. #3MrKomatsu2011-07-30 16:59

    slivers are not realy a concern...unless you have many of them.....check pressure and monitor....240-300 psi...