Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8L Overheating/Fluid Change issues

50MileMining ยท 2016-06-04 18:01

Our Mechanic is diagnosing an Overheating issue on our D8L, he drained the transmission oil and only 30L came out, the oil is dirty. There should have been at least 150-180L. The transmission dipstick reads full. The oil is clean. Any ideas what is happening here. Is there another drain plug that he is missing?

Replies2
  1. #1kshansen2016-06-04 21:47

    Not knowing the S/N or at least prefix I'm not sure if there is more than one style power train. I looked in the Operation/Maintenance Manual for a 7JC prefix and they only show one drain point but the picture on SIS is almost worthless. A couple questions might lead to some answers. Has this mechanic drained the powertrain on this machine before and got out the 150-180L of oil? You say transmission dipstick reads full, I'm assuming this was before you drained the oil not after? When checking the powertrain oil level you are doing it with engine running at low idle and warm oil? When did this overheating problem start? How long have you been using this machine. Has application or operator changed? For lack of other ideas I might be pulling the screen out of the converter housing, assuming yours is like the one I looked up. Just wild guessing the converter housing is not getting scavenged and is full of oil causing it to heat up.

  2. #2StanRUS2016-06-04 23:54

    30L drained, something goofy, is the mechanic draining the torque divider instead of transmission bevel gear case? Correct oil capacity is 167L-44gals ...1 drain plug @ bottom of bevel gear case...Screen located @ L.H. side under floor plates (circular housing bolted to bevel case). Oil filter L.H. side below fuel tank. Trans oil dip stick has 2 markings 1 for engine stopped oil level & 1 with engine idling...fill to full mark (about 1" over) with engine stopped side of the dipstick & start engine recheck @ engine idle. I would change both oil filters located @ rear of fuel tank, L.H. trans oil & R.H. steer clutch brake lube filter After 'correct amount' of oil is filled into the machine, next Torque Divider could be flooding due worn seal-rings. Engine Coolant, if not correctly maintained the 'trans-torque oil cooler' tubes will be full of scale-crap...cooler located under front of engine.