Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

d8n overheating

Kat excavating services · 2024-07-02 21:03

D8N running 230 degrees and trans temp 220 / 225 ​ flat radiator cleaned new trans new torque converter and regulator shimmed correctly new trans cooler new belts and pulleys . does anyone a make a better extreme cooling radiator ? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Simon C2024-07-02 22:51

    Have you done a infrared temperature gun test of top rad hose versus bottom rad hose? Need to find cause of overheating, from internals of rad plugged with hard like substance,stuck water thermostat, and even strength of antifreeze. Have to start with some tests before throwing money at it. This unit probably has a 3406B engine. Could the impeller of the water pump be worn out, or damaged. Is the radiator getting pressurized by a failed head gasket. Does the rad cap hold pressure. Start checking I suppose, best start with temperature gun. Simon C

  2. #2chidog2024-07-03 00:59

    Is it a mechanical temp gauge? Meaning a small tube from sensor to gauge?

  3. #3Kat excavating services2024-07-03 21:14

    Its a 3406C new cat 50/50 red antifreeze new thermostat radiator cap holds pressure about where the shop manual says it should be .And I did the the temp right off the bat lol and it was in the specs of temp drop according to the shop manual . I have not checked the water pump Thanks

  4. #4Kat excavating services2024-07-03 21:19

    its a cat electric working off the senser but I have checked it will my temp gun and they are close to the same . ps I think often about changing it to the old green and red mechanical gauge easy to see and read lol