March 8/ 2019 delivery June 17/2020 it hit 10000 hours Chips/ pulp mill
the worst is yet to come happy running i have always said for every hour you run there is at least and hour of working on them, and today with all the crap on new ones i had would like to do that than trade. least we know they will get to this number of hours.m2c
Nice to see. Pushing chips is a relatively easy application and you should see many thousands more hours. The wood fiber does shine up the blade and tracks to almost a mirror finish.
I notice the track shoes have holes in them to prevent packing. Nice machine.
Yeah we'll get 25 - 30000 hours. I believe it's a lease this time, 30 months? Few issues either sensors, emissions or ac related. Best one, pre emissions, burnt on us. It would be worn out anyways by now.
A fire suppression system installed and it still burned to the ground.? I'd be interested to hear the story behind that one.
Fire suppression installed and it still burned? I had one down here do that also. Did you find out cause on yours? The one here was hydraulic hose or fitting failure.
Critical hoses can now be assembled with an external burst protection sleeve that (somewhat) mitigates the high pressure stream of oil from a leaking or burst hose. All our tractors have the hydraulic hoses that run through the engine compartment fitted with it.
The issue when the tractor that I dealt with burned was that a steering hose failed at the interface of the hose and the fitting while the machine was sitting with no operator in it and was idling away. Basically the machine was used five minutes at a time and then left running for up to three quarters of an hour with no one in the cab. How do we know what happened. Because I pulled the product link file and found a loss of steering pressure. The fault showed for approximately 5 minutes and then all the electrical system went dead. The hose that failed was the outlet from the steering pump and it shot a fine spray over to the bottom of the cab floor plate and onto a bunch of electrical connections. It was at night and no one saw the smoke. I was told the operator came out and saw the machine wasn't running and then hit the suppression system. The fire was mostly already out because the oil stopped misting when the engine died and the hydraulic tank was nearly out of fuel. The machine was rebuilt and put back into service about two months later.
A hydraulic leak caused a fire and took out the 30,000,000lb., 180yd. Captain shovel. Repairs estimated over 1 million and no guarantee's it would work as it did before.
What happened to the automatic detection.? I assume that if it was customary to leave the tractor unattended with the engine running it was equipped with it for exactly that circumstance.? If it wasn’t so equipped then all bets were off. The fire suppression system would be a paperweight.
Caught fire under cab on top of transmissions. Burned fuel line off.
Fire system went off. Many extinguishers, lots of water. Once the fuel line burned off it was too late. Couldn't get near to shut fuel off. Sawdust gets up under there and cooks till it ignites. Mechanic now take out floor and clean. We also just put nozzels with quick connect for air or water to clean by operators.
I don't recall seeing any suppression system with automatic initiation. All I've had to be around required the operator to pull a pin and push a big red button.
All the landfill equipment i worked on was automatic or manual. Had a wire strung all around machine if fire burned it in 2 or anything broke it it went off, the wood grinder had thermal sensors on it. Older system.
Same here. Everything we run is automatic detection & actuation. Before setting the system off the control will sound an audible warning to the operator that an abnormal heat signature has been detected. He generally has 15 seconds (I think from memory) to press a button cancelling the actuation otherwise the whole shooting match discharges. if there is a fire it gives him the same length of time to get the machine stopped, drop any raised equipment, trans in neutral, park brake on, and kill the engine before everything is submerged in a ton of white powder. http://www.afexsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/AFEX-Mining.pdf
aka the Hell Hole. It's bad enough in our application if there is any accumulation of oil or grease under there. I can't imagine what it would be like with that compartment full of sawdust on top of a hot converter, transmission and hydraulic pumps.
When it caught on me, same machine same place, I smelled smoke. I stopped and went to get out. I stepped through a wall of fire! Then I couldn't get back in machine. I set system off from outside. Saved it that time.
Pretty impressive to get 10 000 hours in just over a year. In years past, that would be most of the life of the dozer.
24/7 Operation should be clocking 7000+ hours a year if the equipment is anything like reliable. A dozer like that one should be good for a total life of 60,000+ hours. In that time it would be rebuilt twice from the chassis up.
We always pulled the pans off of machines working in wood chips or saw dust. Land fill machines were the worst for packing bad stuff everywhere. It's odd to me that you guys are saying there are systems that will automatically engage. In all the years that I've worked and all the burned machines that I've had to put hands on, all but one caught fire while running. The one that burned after being shut down, the system didn't engage. I'm not counting the fire sales for insurance purposes. Pulp mills might shut down once a year but all I have been around work 24/7. There are 8,736 hours in a year. 7,000 is very doable. The scary thing to me on a machine fire is material the machine is working in. I can't imagine the flames possible in a chip yard feeding a pulp plant and all the scary chemicals inside those buildings.
No pans or guards on our machines. They're chip packages. Chips will not burn. Not an issue.
I think you'l find they will burn if they are mixed with the slightest amount of hydrocarbon from an oil or fuel leak. In fact from what I know wood chips produce gases when heated that are extremely flammable and they will go up in a fireball if the spontaneous ignition temperature is reached. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though.
Need to rebuild that burned dozer here!
Chips on the pile will not burn. They get zero oxygen. 22 years, quite a few machines on fire, never will the chip pile burn. Bark. Now that's another story.
Had the wood grinder backed up to shop in summer, all doors opened just got done repairing hooked batteries back up to check everything out unknown alarm going off , then poof 3 large cans of abc powder everywhere. Spent rest of that day cleaning shop , next 2 days cleaning grinder waiting for people to come check it out. Was a good time lol.
Crazy fire stories! I have always wondered how they start and burn everything so quickly. 10,000+ hours in one year!! Wow! Im new to the heavy equipment world. I own just a PC210 excavator and looking to add a dozer to my fleet. How many hours could a well maintained D6N see before it would need major repairs/overhaul??
Depends a lot on operating conditions, and what style of undercarriage is on it. Plus unknowns sometimes stuff just breaks. The d6 dozers i took car of at landfill all had about 8 thousand hours on them and going strong even though one had an engine knock and bad sensors in the tranny , both had undercarriage replaces a couple times they had system one with widest pads possible sure fire way to keep those track chains destroyed.