Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D8T No Reverse

DieselPirate · 2020-03-04 13:48

Hi all, I'm new here. Have a D8T s/n: KPZ00863. The machine will not go into reverse, I have active codes 1405-5, 673-2, and 585-2 coming up on the dash panel. Can anyone provide me with information on troubleshooting these codes? Thanks in advance!

Replies30
  1. #1laycobeau2020-03-04 14:43

    585-2 and 673-2 speed sensor #1 erratic output. 1405-5 solenoid #5 low current Best I can tell. anyone know for sure? one

  2. #2DieselPirate2020-03-04 15:02

    That's correct

  3. #3Nige2020-03-04 15:57

    Check your PM's.

  4. #4Mark2502020-03-04 16:06

    here is solenoid test procedure for 1405-5

  5. #5Nige2020-03-04 16:09

    #5 solenoid valve (first speed clutch) Diagnostic Code and the machine has no reverse. Hmmmmm.

  6. #6Mark2502020-03-04 17:09

    Are we sure we are not talking about CID 1401 code which is the reverse solenoid? may be a misprint?

  7. #7Nige2020-03-04 18:05

    True dat. We can only wait until the OP reposts. Take a look at the WAX-prefix C7 thread will you please. I'm having issues finding a Flash File Part Number.

  8. #8DieselPirate2020-03-04 18:28

    Which of the 5 solenoids is #5?

  9. #9DieselPirate2020-03-04 18:47

    I've already checked #1 transmission speed sensor and have determined that it is out of spec. Will replace that plus #2 and the harness as it has been spliced back together.

  10. #10Nige2020-03-04 19:20

    See attachment. I suggest that you double check using the wire colours & numbers on the electrical schematic I sent to you. Are you referring to the short harness 217-4627 that it inside the transmission itself.? A known failure mode, especially in view of how hot they get. There is an upgraded harness available that came in from machine S/N KPZ01174 onwards, so your machine has the former design of harness. See attachments for Part Numbers and how to install. You will no longer be able to buy 217-4627.

  11. #11DieselPirate2020-03-06 10:49

    When I pulled the plate on the back of the transmission and locater #5 solenoid It wasnt plugged in correctly, plug was upside down and wouldn't latch. Plugged it back up and that code went away. However, the speed sensor codes still remain and now the machine won't go into forward or reverse...

  12. #12Nige2020-03-06 11:03

    How come it was plugged in upside down.? That makes no sense unless someone unplugged it and reconnected it again, but why were they in there in the first place.? Are you even sure that the 5 solenoids are connected correctly..? Like spark plug leads on an petrol engine has someone got the connectors crossed up.? Has the transmission been removed from this machine recently or has someone else been in there messing before you were assigned to work on the machine.? I sent you the Troubleshooting Procedures for all three Codes that you posted in your OP. Did you do those procedures to try to diagnose what was wrong and if so what were the results.?

  13. #13DieselPirate2020-03-06 11:09

    This machine came from the RB auction last year and hasn't really been moved since we hauled it, at that time everything was working fine until they decided they want to put it to work. Supposedly the transmission was rebuilt sometime prior to getting it here

  14. #14Nige2020-03-06 12:08

    So the machine has never worked on your job site. Good to know where we stand. You could have put that info in the OP, it would have been a great help. I love that word - "supposedly" ......... hardy f'kin har...... In that case start from first pricniples - Assume nothing. First thing I would do is closely inspect the transmission wiring harness (see post #11). Replace the harness with a new one if it shows signs of having been repaired. Then work with the Electrical Schematic and make sure that everything is connected correctly tov the transmission solenoids - again assume nothing. Finally do the Troubleshooting Procedures that I sent to you for the 673-2, and 585-2 and post the results. That should be enough to keep you busy for a while.

  15. #15DieselPirate2020-03-06 14:53

    Number 1 speed sensor is definitely bad. Tests on number 2 all come back fine. Driveshaft is only locking up in 2F and machine has to be revved really high for machine to move. Before I reconnected solenoid #5 it would lock up in 1F and move at idle. Gonna order the speed sensor and see what happens then. If speed sensor 1 has failed would that cause a code for number 2 as well? Thanks for the help!

  16. #16Nige2020-03-06 16:03

    I strongly suggest that you go through the wiring of the internal transmission harness using the Electrical Schematic and the wire colours/numbers. I sincerely believe that wiring is wrongly connected (or the internal harness has been badly repaired and wires have been crossed while making the repair) somewhere inside the transmission between the plug on the outside and the five solenoid valves, because correctly plugging in the #5 solenoid connector that you found inverted should not generate the symptoms that you are now reporting. Go back to first principles. Trace EVERY individual wire in the transmission harness by colour & number and make sure that each one is connected to the place where it should be connected. You have the electrical schematic. It ain't hard.

  17. #17DieselPirate2020-03-06 16:11

    I did trace all wires. They're all hooked up correctly. I made a typo in the earlier post about the wiring that had been repaired. That wire was going to the output sensor on the torque converter. Not the internal harness on the transmission.

  18. #18Nige2020-03-06 16:16

    In that case, did your 1405 Code go away when you correctly connected the #5 solenoid.?

  19. #19DieselPirate2020-03-06 17:12

    Yes. 1405 code went away. Codes for speed sensors remain activ . Machine would go into 1F and move before I connected the plug to #5 solenoid

  20. #20Nige2020-03-06 18:11

    So connecting the solenoid made the Diagnostic Code go away but screwed up the transmission gear selection. Are you thinking the same as me that possibly the solenoid was deliberately plugged incorrectly by someone long ago in order to get the machine to move - in first gear at least.? Have you done any PM work on the transmission such as changing filters and removing, cleaning, inspecting the suctions screens for debris.? If so what exactly did you find.? Do you have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for the tractor.?

  21. #21DieselPirate2020-03-06 19:11

    That's what I'm starting to think... when the machine arrived here, there was a paper in the cab that had a picture of the machine,the total hours, and how many hours it had been since the transmission, engine, torque converter had all been rebuilt. But the total hours on the machine per the paper, was 19xxx hours, the total on the machine itself is 17xxx. The machine was also full of sand when it arrived. Battery boxes were full of sand, undercarriage is worn out. When I pulled the seat and floors out of the cab the other day, it was was completely caked up as are the belly pans.

  22. #22DieselPirate2020-03-06 19:14

    My first time experience with the machine was when it got to the port and we go to pick it up and the batteries were dead. That's when I had a bad gut feeling about this machine. We loaded it, hauled it to the current location where it has been sitting for the past year

  23. #23Nige2020-03-07 00:33

    Drop the belly guards and get everything cleaned out. Have a good look around the machine with the guards off, then start digging into the power train oil, filters, and screens. Post photos of whatever material you find in the screens.

  24. #24JD955SC2020-03-07 04:20

    Yeah that’s my sense as well...”make it move and get it out of here, I don’t care how you do it” Pro Tip- not only is dropping the belly guards and cleaning everything out real well a good idea and makes troubleshooting easier, but if you have to call in a field mechanic or send it in to a shop they will love you and you won’t have to pay them to do it.

  25. #25DieselPirate2020-03-10 13:53

    Made it back out to the machine today. Unplugged #5 transmission solenoid fired the machine up, speed sensor codes were gone, 1405 code came back. And machine would move in forward and reverse. Plugged #5 solenoid back in, speed sensor codes come back, #5 solenoid code goes away.... I'm stumped on this issue!

  26. #26DieselPirate2020-03-10 15:42

    Pulled out the screen and didnt find any metal shavings, however, it was stopped up with something with a snotty consistency. The pulled the transmission filters and found the milky oil and whatever this black stuff is in the bottom of the bowls. No metal though...

  27. #27Nige2020-03-10 19:06

    Good God....!! When was that oil last changed..? Did the oil you drained smell burned..? The black stuff in the 3rd photo looks a lot like burned clutch material, but very fine. By the looks of the tops of the filter elements in the photo it almost appears like it's got sand in it. (A bit like you were mentioning early about the rest of the machine being covered in sand.) NOTE: There are three screens in the power train, not one. Make sure you pull all three. Procedure attached. if it was mine as a minimum I'd:- 1. Replace the power train breather (because of the amount of sand that's been around the machine) - procedure attached. Don't clean it, replace it. A new one is probably about $30. 2. Remove and clean all three power train screens. 3. Replace the power train filters. To get the correct Part Numbers (because some machines use High-Efficiency filters) needs the tractor Serial Number. I checked back through your posts and you never mentioned it. 4. Fill it with fresh oil (TO-4 Spec SAE 30). 5. Run it with the #5 solenoid disconnected to get it up to temperature. 6. See how it performs once everything is hot. 7. Then at the very least drain the oil and inspect what colour it is when it comes out the drain plug. If it's coffee-coloured like your photos above you are in for more than one oil change. Do you have pressure gauges 0-600psi (at least a couple) to test transmission clutch pressures..?

  28. #28Nige2020-03-10 20:52

    As an afterthought to all the comments above the possible presence of water in the transmission oil also springs to mind. If that is the case there are a number of possibilities as to how it got there.

  29. #29DieselPirate2020-05-27 13:32

    Sorry it has taken so long to follow up. I finally got the parts and installed both transmission speed sensors, the internal transmission harness and external harness. Dropped the oil, cleaned all screens and replaced transmission filters. Machine is still giving the same issue, it will only go into 2F, no reverse at all, driveshaft only locks up in 2F. Anymore suggestions? I also had the code pop up saying the powertrain filter is bypassing...Thanks in advance.

  30. #30Nige2020-05-27 17:54

    Did you carry out the seven steps I suggested in post #28..? Any notable results..? I'd be interested to know how you identified the correct filter part numbers for the power train.