Hi Everyone we have just reconditioned a D353 out of our D9H, we are currently trying to track down an engine bearing (1N4335) OR (6N1652) both are the same bearing the 6N1652 updates to a 1N4335, the bearing is for a .025 undersize crankshaft and a .025 oversize engine block, we are having a great amount of difficulty trying to locate this bearing, we are in Australia, so we are happy to try and source this part from anywhere in the world, ANY help would be greatly appreciated. looking forward to hearing from someone soon!! Regards Pat
Have you tried catamac? http://www.catamac.com.au/
It's listed in the Miba catalogue. Tilly's are a Miba dealer.
we have been through tillys and miba also, Mibo have nil stock and no production planned
Yair . . . Pathull My first thought was member tctractors there may be a European connection . . . he works on these old girls a bit It's all a matter of cost, but anything can be made as a one off. We had some specials made for an English Electric by an outfit in Birmingham (UK). From memory E.E. supplied the drawings and they made them to spec. Cheers.
In that case I would say you're in a spot of bother. .025/.025 would have been a rare thing even in it's heyday. I see std/.025 is available. You may end up having to find a std crank or block. Just another thought. 6N1652 appears to be the rear bearing. This suggests that you have sourced the others, right? From memory, the centre main is wider because it has the thrust faces, so can you get an extra centre bearing and machine it down to look like the rear one?
We have the others we have the engine assembled as our parts supplier was under the impression that he could get a full set of bearings without any trouble now we are up the creek! The bearing we need is the thrust which is at the rear of the engine
The rear is the thrust? I could have sworn it was the centre one, must be thinking of something else.
I think in the later d353 it might be the centre bearing as the thrust, not 100% sure but I know in this d353 it is the rear
Did you try catamac? They had a new D330 head off the shelf for me when no one I tried, not even Cat or Tillys could get one...
I did call them they are having a look they have nothing in stock but hopefully they can find something, thanks for your help
So, time to think outside the box. Can you machine the thrust faces from your old rear main, insert them into the recess and retain them with a small roll pin or something similar? Plenty of other engines have this kind of arrangement. Crank thrust faces on torque converter engines get very little wear. It is usually on transmissions with a clutch where they take a lot of hammer. The main bearing itself, as I mentioned earlier may be fairly easy to replicate by modifying a .025/.025 bearing from a different position on the crank. Remember this is 1950s technology, not rocket surgery
It seems amazing that no one world wide has bought this part in 5 years. I am currently spending 4 days in Peoria touring Cat as part of the ACMOC. Yesterday we toured Cats distribution center. It has 50+ acres under one roof. They told us yesterday that a part is not retired until it has not been ordered at least once in 5 years from anywhere in the world that is connected to their electronic parts system. All dealers are connected. Then the parts are sold at a scrap price discount to a company whom must hold them for a minimum of 7 years for sale before they can scrap or dispose of them.
And in case anyone was wondering, the company in question is called Vintage Parts. www.vpartsinc.com
Saw this link on Acmoc Different size i know , but may they be able help with the ones you are looking for . http://www.race-mart.com/Clevite-CLE-CB817AL10.html
Not sure I'm following all this but if you can get the bearings sizes you need but not with the thrust parts on them and your bearing with the thrust areas are not salvageable how about having your local machine shop cut some off a chuck of brass drill some holes and pin them in place with brass pins? Another idea is again see your machine shop and have them make spacers for the bearing shells that look just like bearing inserts to put under the standard OD bearings? Probably would need to bore block a bit larger to have a good wall thickness to deal with. I recall having something like this done to salvage an old Waukesha gas engine block. I believe they may have installed the split sleeves in the block and pined them with brass rivets then line bored the sleeve back to standard. I think what you need to do is find the oldest machine shop in the area and then find their oldest machinist he will fix you up easy. Like Cmark says"Remember this is 1950s technology, not rocket surgery"
Wondering if you could have one made? And out of what (bronze? ) And even an alternative way to lock it in place?
Any cylinder block that I come across that has been line bored through I get the Panic on with until the bearing issue is sorted, I do have knowledge of good D8 (D342) and D9 (D353) cylinder blocks that I can get hold of if I landed up with this issue, If I strip an engine and find it needs a line bore I usualy look for another good block as its hard to know just how things end up, the bore costings on large cylinder blocks can be steep plus the heavy price of non common bearings if you can get them? mounts up fast, my last dealing with this issue involved getting bearings from 3 different locations in Europe on a Cummins engine, after the block bore and all the agro finding a crank full of shells I wished I had never set Eyes on the motor, I am a "Thick U'n" with no doubt there is plenty of people who can put up with the technical issue of resolving this task so I wish you all the luck needed to sort your troublesome engine. tctractors
Imagine your pain if that one spun a bearing or something shortly after said rebuild and you had to warranty repair it in such a non standard configuration, what a liability you have hanging over your head too....
Yair . . . Birken Vogt Not really. If the customer wants it fixed non standard you ask them to see a solicitor and get a document drafted that can be signed off on by both parties stating clearly that no warranty is given or implied. . . in other words the repairer will give all care but assumes no responsibility. Cheers.