Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D9R score

Grantc · 2019-03-21 17:32

Just bought this in a auction. Factory rebuild in 10'. Has 5800 hours on it. Brand new undercarriage by cat . Was working at a steel mill, so needs paint, but it was a good buy I think.

Replies39
  1. #1Nige2019-03-21 17:56

    3408 HEUI engine..? Have fun....

  2. #2Grantc2019-03-21 19:56

    Can't be bad, I see them with 40k hours all the time. Just had new injectors put in it .

  3. #3DoyleX2019-03-22 07:55

    I did a very quick search of "3408 heui". Half of the first page was fuel problems.

  4. #4Nige2019-03-22 08:18

    The D9R is basically a good tractor. Our ones were given a life of 65k hours and by then the frame was getting to the point where it wasn't economic to repair any more. Bolt-on components can be changed ad infinitum so long as the frame holds up. The problem IMO is with the engine. The 3400-Series HEUI was a bad design when it was first introduced in the mid-1990's (who ever came up with the idea of running a hydraulic system on dirty engine oil.?) and it hasn't improved much since, if at all. I had sleepless nights with 3412 HEUI engines in D10R's for a number of years and the only way they got completely fixed was when the D10T came out with a C27 in it. For any machine working in a 24/7 operation reliability is a critical factor, maybe not so much for a contractor machine that might only work 40-50 hours a week, by comparison our tractors clock close to 7k hours a year. A turd can be polished as much as anyone likes but at the end of the day it's still a turd.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2019-03-22 11:10

    The old Ford Powerstroke 7.3 seems to do pretty well. But we are talking different life cycles also. 7,000 hours on one of those is pretty much a lifetime. Maybe HEUI was better suited for something like that that doesn't run so much. They did not seem to have the troubles in our area as when the 3126/C7 came along. Those things had problems with every part. The 7.3 were extensively used in ambulances here and everybody remembers those days fondly, after that came the sick.0 and now it is a mishmash of all kinds of things. We didn't realize how good we had it back then.

  6. #6Nige2019-03-22 14:27

    Different animal Birken. The only thing that the Powerstroke engines and the 3400 Series have in common is the HEUI acronym after the engine model............. We were tossing a set of injectors in our tractor HEUI engines about every 6 months on average.

  7. #7John C.2019-03-22 19:28

    Six months could mean about 3,500 hours maybe? The Heui engines weren't highly thought of around here either.

  8. #8Birken Vogt2019-03-23 00:35

    My point is that on the smaller engines they still used filthy black engine oil as hydraulic fluid, and it seemed to work. So I wonder what about 3408 injectors they could not make work.

  9. #9fiat41b2019-04-06 13:01

    does the d9n have this problem im not to up on the d9n I own a d9h and was running a friends d9t with 6 cylinder however their is a d9n I was courious about

  10. #10Nige2019-04-06 13:29

    D9N is fitted with a mechanical injection 3408 engine. It is completely non-electronic and nothing like the 3408E HEUI engine fitted to the D9R.

  11. #11gary8082019-04-07 01:37

    If you don’t mind me asking what did you get it for?

  12. #12nicky 68a2019-04-13 12:13

    I have a good pre huie D8R that's nice and simple.I was advised against a newer huie 3406 by my fitter. I also have a c15 teir 3 in a D8T which I know nowt about

  13. #13Grantc2019-04-13 12:52

    I paid 49,500 with auction fees. Gotta do a little work to the blade face and replace the hydro cooler cell, it leaking otherthan that, it runs and works perfect. 6 hours of hot water washing on this side. Doesn't look to bad for the original look. Thinking about possibly getting it tip top and flipping it and getting a 6r maybe . What do you think it's worth brand new undercarriage and 5800 hours.

  14. #14John C.2019-04-13 14:32

    Is this the machine? CAT D9R , Serial Number: 7TL01393 Enclosed Cab, Air Conditioner, Heater, 14’ Wide Semi-U Blade w/ Single Cylinder Tilt, Differential Steering, 30" Single Grouser Track Shoes, Counterweight Price: USD $44,500 Auction: Thu, March 14, 2019 Condition: Used ROPS: Enclosed Iron Planet Ecorse, Michigan Last time I ran numbers on a complete undercarriage for one of these it ran about $90,000. Auction and asking prices are all over the boards for these machines. It is a great core for rebuild but only a few places attempt them at this point in time. Fix the leaks, change fluids and filters, remove the pans and clean everything out and finally put a paint job on it. You could probably ask $150K and give your self a year or so with moderate marketing expenses. You could also lease or rent it and get a continuing payment and probably make more. But then again you will have operational risks that go along with that type of income.

  15. #15Welder Dave2019-04-13 15:15

    It sounds like you got a great buy! Maybe other bidders were worried about the engine problems?

  16. #16Shimmy12019-04-13 20:36

    So, am I the only one wondering why someone would spend the money on an undercarriage and then give it away at an auction??

  17. #17DB22019-04-13 20:45

    Government agency?

  18. #18Grantc2019-04-13 21:48

    They thought it had a bad tranny. I went and looked at it .Bolt fell out of the brake pedal linkage and locked the brakes on.

  19. #19Grantc2019-04-13 21:49

    Machine just went through full rebuild 5800 hours ago and it has a brand new undercarriage .

  20. #20Grantc2019-04-13 21:51

    Was at a steel plant.

  21. #21DB22019-04-13 21:56

    I’m sorry I forgot you had said that.

  22. #22Shimmy12019-04-13 22:11

    Still sounds a little too good. You'd think something as simple as a linkage problem wouldn't send a machine to the salvage yard.... I'm not trying to pour cold water on you here, lol. We stole a 7G last summer, but a 7H at the same sale brought more than your 9R. Was the machine represented as "non-functioning" for the sale? If so, you might have hit a home run.

  23. #23Grantc2019-04-13 22:18
  24. #24Grantc2019-04-13 22:20

    I am kicking myself, because the sold 992 loaders with new motors and trans for like 25k

  25. #25Grantc2019-04-13 22:22

    Ya I about crapped my pants when I found the likage missing a bolt .it has a spring in the cable on the trans end, so if the pedal isnt connected to pull it back. It fails on.

  26. #26Welder Dave2019-04-13 23:40

    I'd say you got a great deal if the other bidders and/or the sellers never noticed the missing bolt! I wonder what kind of service people the owners of the machine had... technicians??? Couldn't find a code for a bolt that fell out!

  27. #27gary8082019-04-14 02:05

    That’s a good deal, even As a core price it’s a good deal. That undercarriage is worth that alone.

  28. #28Grantc2019-04-14 04:30

    It is at a really secure facility that is on a island .they didn't allow preview. And a cat mechanic is who told them it was the tranny.

  29. #29Welder Dave2019-04-14 12:04

    Exactly, a technician that only knows how to hook up a lap top and read codes. When did you find the missing bolt, before you bid or after? Did you tell the sellers or just fix it and drive it on the trailer? They should be having a serious talk with their Cat Dealer/wanna be mechanic. That bolt potentially cost them half the price of the machine or more. The loaders going for so cheap is another reason to allow previews. People think no preview means there's something majorly wrong with the machines.

  30. #30Grantc2019-04-14 12:09

    I found the bolt missing after I bought it. It was online auction . I think they thought I was gonna cut it up and haul it out. Instead,5 hours of putting the shafts back in and putting the planets back together, and I was loading it on the trailer .I spent 10 times as long jumping through all the hoops to get on the island and go through all the saftey and security stuff just to get it out of there.

  31. #31Welder Dave2019-04-14 12:16

    Did they say anything when you were fixing it or drove it on the trailer?

  32. #32Shimmy12019-04-14 12:47

    I know you said a steel mill, but I have to wonder if it is usually this inaccessible at these places? Obviously, management did not care about how things looked on paper, why? Is the mill getting ready to close the doors, or are they making so much bank from contracts that they just don't care? Island location, high security, no preview, this sounds like a government thing to me.

  33. #33Grantc2019-04-14 13:45

    Well, if you wanna hear it's government, ok. It's a steel mill and a power plant on a island in Detroit . Big buisness doesn't allways make the best decisions I guess .

  34. #34Grantc2019-04-14 13:47

    Not really .just kind of a pain in the but, gotta schedule ahead of time the days and times. Give them names that will be there, and get all approved .Had to go down there 5 times to get it all buttoned up and ready to ship back home .

  35. #35Welder Dave2019-04-14 14:09

    Well worth the trouble! You could double your money or more pretty easily I think. Like was said, maybe spend 8-10K getting it cleaned up and painted and sell it for over 100K. The loaders sound like an even better deal. Did they run and operate properly?

  36. #36Grantc2019-04-14 15:56

    They drove them outta the gate I was told.

  37. #37nicky 68a2019-04-22 06:54

    Have you got it home yet?

  38. #38epirbalex2019-04-24 18:17

    Bit of a larf , they might not have said much but bet they were thinking a bit . Always pays to check the cheap bits first . They may have a box of spare injectors waiting for you phone call . You sure it was a steelmill ? sounds more like a bunny farm .

  39. #39satkinson2019-06-12 13:57

    Keep it just change engine oil and filter every 200 hrs, we halfed heui failures on c9s when we went on 200 hrs oil changes, it has cost implications but definitely the cheapest way to go in the long run.