Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D9t torque converter temp

buckfever · 2019-04-04 18:42

I have a d9t rjs00178 that when up to operating temp (about 170) the display is saying the torque converter is around 195-200. I’m not sure if this is normal operating temp or if we are building heat due to wear. Just seemed a little high. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2019-04-05 08:51

    How many operating hours are there on the transmission and/or converter..? How many hours on the tractor..? Anything ever been rebuilt..? TC Out temp will always be higher than engine coolant temp because only a difference in temps will cause heat to pass from the powertrain oil to the coolant. I'm assuming your 170 is engine coolant temp, right..? Is 195-200F what you see on a regular basis or is it the max reading you see after the machine has been pushing hard for a while..? IIRC the TC Out temp warning sounds on the Advisor at somewhere around 115-120 DegC, that would be about 240-250 DegF. Where does the needle get to on the TC temp gauge on the dash panel..? Anywhere close to the red..?

  2. #2Nige2019-04-05 09:07

    If you can get into the Advisor system to see the Events, here's what you should be looking for.......... E155 (2) High Torque Converter Oil Temperature. (Warning to change machine operation) Maximum operating temperature of the oil has been reached - 129 °C (264 °F) for at least 5 seconds. E155 (3) High Torque Converter Oil Temperature. Immediate safe shutdown required. Temperature of the oil has reached a critical level - 135 °C (275 °F) for more than 30 seconds.

  3. #3buckfever2019-04-05 18:22

    It’s got 48300 total frame hours. Not sure on the most resent rebuild but this tractor came from a power plant pushing coal into the feeders. We bought it at auction. Then transmission always stays in the lower half of the gauge and I think 205 is the highest It ever went and that was when I was real getting hammered with trucks. I’ll look into the computer tomorrow and seem if anything like that shows up.