Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Daewoo DH50 – Loose Track

astragte_mk2 ยท 2008-03-07 15:42

Hi all, I have a Daewoo DH50 excavator and have a problem which someone might be able to help me with, one of the tracks keeps getting loose, I have pumped grease into it and it will not build up any pressure. I think the seals are gone, just wondering has anyone replaced these seals in one of these machines and is it a big job to replace them. I know you have to take off the track, I am a car mechanic and was thinking about tackling this job myself... if its manageable for me. Hopefully someone has come across this before..... Any help appreciated....

Replies12
  1. #1joispoi2008-03-08 11:59

    shouldn't be that much to it. Pull the guards off, clean it up and see where the grease is going.

  2. #2headwrench2008-03-10 15:31

    have you made sure the adjuster isn't out all the way.how many hours are on the machine?

  3. #3astragte_mk22008-03-10 15:37

    There is about 4500 Hours up on the machine, Looks like the adjuster is out the whole way but when I pump in the grease the track tightens but it loses pressure again straight away and the track gets extremely loose again.

  4. #4headwrench2008-03-10 15:43

    is this a rubber tracked machine? is the yoke on the front idler out past the end of the track frame?

  5. #5headwrench2008-03-10 15:48

    also make sure you dont have a blown idler bearing causing you to be able to pump it out but as soon as you move it will just push back again because of a bad bearing

  6. #6astragte_mk22008-03-10 19:51

    No it is not out past the end of the track frame and its not rubber tracked its steel. its even with the other track but I noticed that the idler has been replaced before with a higher idler to take up the slack by the previous owner. The idler seems to be in good condition, I dont even have to drive the machine for it to lose pressure.

  7. #7Elast2008-03-11 09:18

    Make sure that the fitting is tight. Not the small grease fitting but the larger diameter that the small grease fitting fits into. These have a tendancy to come loose and grease will seep out. Reach in and see if it turns loosely. If it does just tighten it back up. The seals are easy to change if you need to. Just remember to release the pressure (slowly unscrew the grease nipple assy, the large one not the small one) untill grease starts to escape, lift tractor up and let track sag down untill it stops. If your tracks are worn enough you can set tractor almost to the ground and pull track sideways off idler and remove idler witout breaking track. This may not work if your tracks are still tight internally. Worth a shot, can save you lots of time and effort. Elast....:drinkup

  8. #8dirthog2008-03-11 11:04

    loose track If the Idler is that far out even new seals will not help there is not enough left of the piston in the seal to hold grease either replace the rails (tracks) or if you do not run the machine much take a link out of old rail

  9. #9astragte_mk22008-03-11 18:12

    took off the track today and found out that the front roller wheel (the wheel that pushes out when you pump in grease & tightens up the track - not sure what the name is) the bearings are totally destroyed in it, there is massive play in it, the bearings must be gone with a long while. Also when you look in I can see lots of grease inside the hole where the piston is so the seals are gone inside there as well. Looks like I have 2 problems now. Thanks for all the advice so far , any more will be a great help. This is my first machine and Im learning as I go along, the machine dont think it had an easy life before I bought it...

  10. #10headwrench2008-03-12 10:49

    the wheel that pushes out is the idler.i kinda thought the bearings would be gone.your best and cheapest way out is probaly gonna be an aftermarket idler.try a company called berco.the adjuster is easy job.get your self a parts breakdown to give yourself an idea of what your getting into.let me know if you have any questions always happy to help out a fellow irishman.

  11. #11astragte_mk22008-03-12 18:20

    Where would I get a parts breakdown for that machine as I havent seen many of these machines around..will give that crowd berco a ring see what they say.. Didnt think there would be too many Irish on this website, thought I was the only one Thanks for the help..

  12. #12headwrench2008-03-13 15:18

    did you try daewoos web site? john deere has a complete parts catalog online i dont know if daewoo does