Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Daewoo/Doosan

nedly05 ยท 2006-11-25 19:19

Anyone have any experience with Daewoo excavators? We went x-mas shopping today and I had to swing by the Daewoo dealer just to look at them. They seem like a really well put together machine. I really like the 140 with the blade. They have a spacious/comfortable cab too. Anyone have any time on one? Are they any good? They are a lot more affordable than deere.

Replies19
  1. #1jmac2006-11-25 19:23

    Where is a Daewoo dealer in upstate?

  2. #2nedly052006-11-25 19:29

    Commercial Truck and equipment in Glens Falls, NY. www.ctetrucks.com

  3. #3murray832006-11-25 19:31

    The company I used to work for in another division was useing Daewoo excavators outfitted with processor heads for forestry use and the boys seemed to like them. They're no Hitachi or Cat mind you but for basic excavation I see no major issues,if the parts are easy to obtain I'd say look hard at it.

  4. #4nedly052006-11-25 19:34

    Sales guy says they have a full line of parts in stock, and there are parts warehouses in the country so parts can be obtained within 24 hrs.

  5. #5jmac2006-11-25 19:37

    Checked out the web site, thanks, looks like a dealer that has a lot to offer. I have never seen a Daewoo. Who would they compare to? I bet the price is good.

  6. #6Woodstock2006-11-25 19:40

    Down here in Texas a guy bought a daewoo skid steer and something broke on it and took over four months to get the part here form over seas. They said no one in the us had the part. Be carefull. :nono

  7. #7nedly052006-11-25 19:46

    Thanks for that info woodstock!!!I just checked machinerytrader.com and the daewoo 140 with the blade is about 30,000 cheaper than a cat 140 LCR and a Deere 135 RTS. and 15-20,000 cheaper than a Kobelco 115 SR. I know these machines are built very well, and I really like a short tail swing. It would be hard to get used to having a tail swing again, but for 20-30,000 bucks I bet I could learn to look behind me! I am a pretty big fan of the Kobelco SR machines though, the 70 we have is such a great machine that the 115 must be awesome! Wonder how it stacks up to the Daewoo 140?

  8. #8Woodstock2006-11-25 20:03

    I have not ran that many excavators. It seams like I learned the hard way, you get what you pay for. lol. I would also look at resale value down the road. You don't want to buy something and turn around and try to sell it and no body wants it. jmo

  9. #9nedly052006-11-25 20:10

    ...good call...

  10. #10tylermckee2006-11-25 20:25

    Seems like they are pretty comparable to hyundai. We have a couple and they are great machines

  11. #11dayexco2006-11-25 20:29

    there are many factors to weigh. "if" the daewoo is as serviceable as let's say a cat or deere, but costs 30k less at time of purchase, you put 10k hrs on it before trade in, on a 200 sized hoe, i would rather doubt there would be 30k difference in value sitting on the lot. what has the cost of your money been on the extra 30k going towards the cat or deere? we bought a 210 hyundai last year for that very reason, and so far "knock on wood"....we are VERY pleased with the machine.

  12. #12nedly052006-11-25 21:33

    The dealer where we bought our 70SR sells the hyundais. I like the looks of the 140 with the blade. I also like how the 160 class machine is available with a blade. The way that Tyler and Dayexco rave about them makes me think I shold call our salesman and see what he thinks about it vs. kobelco!! he sells both so he shouldnt be bias.

  13. #13nedly052006-11-25 21:39

    I dont know, that 140 hyundai is right in there as well. Hey Tyler, how does that 140 of yours do with the progressive-link thumb/coupler, do you notice a loss of lifting ability? does it still have a lit of power at the end of the stick? how much did it cost with the thumb, coupler and buckets?

  14. #14tylermckee2006-11-26 01:58

    My boss used to run only Kobelco machines at the company he used to work for. He says that the hyundai's we have are just as fast and have just as much power as the same size kobelco. So far we havent had any issues with either machine, one has 1700 hours and the other isnt far behind. My only gripe is with the 140, its a bit on the bouncy side. Dont know if maybe some it is from the extra weight of the thumb out on the end of the stick, or if hyundai didnt throw enough counterweight on it, or if its something with the undercairage design. Setting the blade down does help a LOT with that though. we put on a prog. link thumb, quick change, and CO bucket that we had from an old machine. I'm not sure on the proce of the machine. One thing though, the difference between the 140 and the 160 we have is huge, on paper the difference doesnt look so huge. 160 is a lot more powerful, a lot smoother, and faster. ours has a blade wich is nice cause you can stick it infront when doing heavy lifting, or stick it behind you when digging in rock/hard soil.

  15. #15nedly052006-11-26 05:24

    The 140 is as big as we would go. What is your take on the thumb/coupler? Do you think its too much for the machine? Would you go with a lighter thumb or none at all? is the progressive link thumb worth the extra weight? Solesbees makes one www.solesbeesequipment.com that is a pin mount but a direct link, it is about 600 lbs lighter than say a CWS thumb. It looks like a good unit, with a lot of range of motion too. Probably if we went with a 140 thats what we go with. Anyone else have any 140 experience?

  16. #16nedly052006-11-26 05:35

    lookin at all of the specs on paper, the hyundai 140 is on of the strongest on the market for the 140 class machine.

  17. #17tylermckee2006-11-26 05:38

    the prog. like is nice, but 98% of the time i dont need the extra throw. the standard thumb will tuck up a little tighter to the stick which is nice, the thumb seems to get in the way at the worst times. I like the looks of the tines on their thumbs, looks like it would be good for clearing, ours doesnt have nearly as much curl to it.

  18. #18nedly052006-11-27 05:43

    We build a few stone walls, and the extra throw is nice for that, but other wise I am not sure that the extra weight and cost of progressive link is worth it. We are used to using the manual thumb on the 70SR for walls now so having a big machine with a hydraulic thumb would be nice.Our mini has a direct link hydraulic thumb, but its not big enough for a lot of jobs.

  19. #19Woodsa2012-04-04 06:51

    i have a solar 170-3 that has a stalling problem in it now but we got it new an done 8000 trouble free hours with it till now???