Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

It was a buyers market at yesterday’s auction

Ford LT-9000 · 2006-12-01 15:04

I didn't go to yesterdays RB Auction because of weather but I looked up the prices on excavators and mini excavators man if you were looking for a mini excavator they were going CHEAP. We have been going through this bad batch of winter weather and not many people could attend the auction so things went dirt cheap. You could buy a 6000lb mini for 11,000 dollars the ones with the yankem sticks were 3500 dollars. You could have bought a early 70s D8 for 6000 dollars it prolly went for scrap. Myself I should have went but the roads were so bad and I don't own a 4x4 neither does my dad and the roads were too bad for my brother we didn't go. A Kenworth dump truck I seen in the B.C. truck trader the guy wanted 30,000 for it but I see he put it in the auction and lost 10 grand and only got 20,000 for it. I feel kind of bad for anybody that was trying to get good money for their equipment it just didn't happen.

Replies24
  1. #1Dickie2006-12-01 17:25

    There's still some good viewing at the site, I spent lunch today watching all the trucks drive off with their new bounty! I wonder if prices are seasonal? I haven't been monitoring auction results long enough to know yet.

  2. #2Ford LT-90002006-12-01 18:02

    The auction was mainly selling off all of the assets of Moznik Trucking which I think they lost out big time. Some of those older truck tractors sold so cheap I have a feeling they were bought for spare parts. A place like "99" truck parts or West Coast Parts "scotty" probably bought them for parts. There is going to be a huge demand for rebuilt engines because with these new emmision motors coming out trucking companies are keeping old trucks and fixing them up. I should have gone but oh well you win some you loose some but the very poor road conditions prevented allot of people attending. The south of the boarder crowd probably couldn't make it and the people from the Interior of B.C. probably didn't want to try make it down. The auction should have been postponed till next week I know that Ritchies didn't make much money off of this one. I also think Moznik Trucking probably took a decent sized loss they could have got more money for some of their trucks.

  3. #3rino14942006-12-01 18:34

    Their last auction in Northeast, MD had some excellent deals on excavators. There is another one there in 2 weeks that we are going to.

  4. #4Wolf2006-12-01 18:36

    Moznik What happened to Moznik Trucking? Did they fold? Why?

  5. #5Ford LT-90002006-12-01 21:05

    I think the owner must have wanted to retire but they sold every truck they owned at the auction. I looked up their history and I think they started back in the early 70s. If I had extra money and was at the auction I would have bought a used mini for 4000 dollars.

  6. #6CascadeScaper2006-12-02 02:47

    Equipment prices have taken a dive. Not really sure why, but I'm seeing '05 Cat 312CL's loaded with 80-300 hours going for $115K. Glad we sold ours when we did.

  7. #7bobcatuser2006-12-02 15:39

    I herd them advertising the auction on the radio. Didn’t realise they had any equipment the ad said it was a car and truck auction. There is no way I would have been able to stay awake for the auction after this last week. It might take the rest of December (on the beach in Mexico) to recover.

  8. #8Ford LT-90002006-12-02 16:02

    Usually Ritchie bros winter auctions are slow but not that bad. If you needed a piece of equipment you could have got it pretty cheap on Thursday. If somebody with acreage that wanted a machine to clear it with they could have found a good cheap excavator.

  9. #9esobofh2010-02-17 12:51

    Hey Ford LT-9000; Any recent experience with the RB auctions? I'm heading to one in MArch.. on the 24th.. newest location open now in chilliwack.. looks like alot of excavators.

  10. #10esobofh2010-02-17 12:53

    hrmmm ahh.. yeah.. i see 'ol Ford LT-9k got banned.. wonder why?

  11. #11dayexco2010-02-17 13:35

    you do see this is a 4 yr old thread?

  12. #12Burnout2010-02-17 14:07

    Its like Fashion..... all that is old is new again:drinkup As for your question esobofh....Ritchie Brothers is where equipment and trucks go to die. lol

  13. #13sultan2010-02-17 14:50

    elaborate... are most of the machines junk? Is ritchie a dumping ground for lemons? All the Komatsu and Kobelco machines I saw at the last ritchie auction were junk, but all the Cats and Hitachis and Deeres that I tried seemed to work fine.

  14. #14Arabhacks2010-02-17 15:02

    Cycle. Hello. Construction runs in cycles. Right now we are rock bottom. And, the cycles run every 4 years, election years. G W Bush will go down in history as one of the forgotten presidents, very few remember him now. Chaney on the other hand is not only well known, he is in the press to this very day. My only concern about all of this is how it affects the economy, and my bottom line. The :usa runs on oil, and the A-rabs have our oil! But, until the :usa takes over Arabia and names me administrator of punishment for Arabs, nothing will change. :drinkup

  15. #15tootalltimmy2010-02-17 16:16

    Richie Bros does a very nice 5 gallon overhaul on the excavators. There are good deals and bad. One needs to be careful. US oil imports. From US Energy Administration. Canada remained the largest exporter of total petroleum in November, exporting 2.527 million barrels per day to the United States, which is an increase from last month (2.360 thousand barrels per day). The second largest exporter of total petroleum was Mexico with 1.083 million barrels per day. This means we should be nice to our neighbours! Lol!

  16. #16sultan2010-02-17 16:33

    I understand; I saw some of those 'overhauls'. Some were good runners that got some counterweight touchup. Others were old junkers made shiny. For example, I saw a very worn out and busted up Case W20 loader that was made shiny. It didn't start when I turned the key. Took 20 minutes for mechanic to get that shiny yellow clunker to turn and blow clouds of white smoke. The 'clutch' pedal was rusted stuck in the pressed position, so it couldn't move. A hammer fixed that. You needed to rev up the throttle 50% to move the hydraulics under no load. I'm glad I didn't buy that P.S. http://www.rbauction.com/common_scripts/gallery_full_view.jsp?auction_id=2010112&industry_id=1&equip_id=2601204&Search_results=All&Search_type=Advanced&img_num=14&page_type=0 I never knew 10 year old machines could keep their buckets, undercarriage, and counterweight spotless while greatly wearing down the driving gears and tracks... Just one example from among hundreds... BTW - How much would you pay for that 345BL if everything is functional, has 12k hours (a guess, will have to check machine myself before considering) and the U/C is rather worn [see photos in link]?

  17. #17tootalltimmy2010-02-17 20:07

    If you go to rbauction.com you can go to Auction Results on the left side and search under construction-hydraulic excavator-caterpillar-345BL and see what other machines have sold for recently in Canada or USA.

  18. #18swampdog2010-02-17 20:43

    Shhh!! Don't tell them. They don't like dirty Canadian oil.

  19. #19sultan2010-02-17 21:10

    I've been looking but the prices are all over the place. They range from 35k to 80k for that model and age. Last December, they sold 3 345BLs for 68 to 75k, which seemed very high. I wanted them but I don't have that much money. About where does this machine fit in the 35k to 80k range?

  20. #20tootalltimmy2010-02-17 21:21

    Check this one out. Not sure if you have looked at Iron Planet but it has lots of auction results. Might help give you an idea. http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/243709?h=405%2C3728

  21. #21Burnout2010-02-18 02:04

    Once again hacks.... you have typed out a paragraph and yet said nothing that makes sense. First... lets talk about RB... you see a lot of iron dealers don't want. Sometimes you see good iron there, a lot of the time you don't. Yes the 5 gallon overhaul, Du-Pont overhaul, 5 gallon rebuild. They have names for a reason lol. Ritchie Brothers is buyer beware if you know what to look for you can get a great deal on iron. If not well... you could end up with a Deere 550G with a fubar motor and final drives full of grease. As for your oil comments hacks... as it has already been said WE are your largest supplier of oil. Mexico is second so the Arabs don't have all your oil... we do. Cycles are on election years? Show me some proof. The industry has its own cycle, in a downturn like this you can find some awesome deals at the auction. Before you speak up... know what your talkin about.

  22. #22esobofh2010-02-18 10:37

    Yeah.. I just figured if he was watching the auctions then, he might be now.. and he was local - so my best bet. I Didn't figure on him being banned though

  23. #23alco2010-02-18 12:26

    Trust me, with this guy, you're better off that he's banned. I'd go into it further, but it would likely get me banned for what I have to say about him...lol.

  24. #24CM19952010-02-18 18:32

    Well said. Esobofh, if you are a glutton for punishment, there is a thread about a 1 ton truck, that shall remain unnamed for the sanity of myself and our older members.:cool2