As I complained before when I did my stabilizer cylinders the kit New Holland calls for did not provide a perfect fit. The piston seal and gland to rod seal were usable but the wear ring and outer seal were totally different. In my case when I was doing the repair I was working in a machine shop and was able to turn the gland nut so the outer seal would fit. That left me with needing to modify the wear ring or reusing the one I had which was the option I chose. If i have to build them in the future I may have to cut the wear ring down to fit but that is doable. In hindsight I wish I would have taken more time and tried to find a kit that was an exact fit in every respect. BUT, I'm not sure such a kit exists. Now I'm needing to rebuild the crowd/dipper cylinder. The kit number from the parts lookup crosses with a kit called for on a 63x4-1/2" cylinder. I thought the 63 was referring to the stroke since it gave the bore in inches and the cylinder stroke is in fact about 63 inches. Then if I search for the cylinder number listed, a completely different kit number comes up and says it's for a 115mm bore with a 63mm rod. 115mm x .03937 = 4.52755 4-1/2" / .03937 = 114.3 mm The difference is so slight either kit may work assuming the outer seal issue doesn't come up again but I don't want to order a kit until I have it apart and measure the bore. .0275" may be just enough larger to tear up the piston seal when I put it in or not seal for as long if I went to the smaller kit.
Are the cylinder numbers stamped into the outside of the gland? This will help narrow down the search for the correct kit.
Not that I've seen.
Hey NH575E, Did you make any headway on the seal kit. I looked around, and see that Hercules shows standard inch while others show metric. I have found that on my 675E, everything is metric that I have touched so far. I think it would be the same for you. They were built in Italy too. But, as you pointed out, they are so close it may not matter. I am still waiting for my seal kit...they sent it to my NJ address even though I changed the shipping address. So, I am hoping that if my son comes up to PA this weekend he will bring it. Then I will know if the seals are correct on mine.
No this is a repair I keep putting off. The leak is slight and I don't think it happens until I bottom the rod at the gland so I just try to operate and not move the crowd to it's extreme.
Well, it started leaking worse this afternoon so I guess I got to tear it down and measure the bore. I suspect it's going to be the 115mm bore. That will be fine with me because the ebay seller listing the kit claims it's in Jacksonville. It's also a little cheaper than the 4-1/2" kit. Not looking forward to manhandling this heavy sucker. Planning to dig a trench to set the bucket in so I get it down to my level and leaving the cylinder housing on the machine. I imagine the rod and piston will be about all I want to lift and I'll probably pull it with the loader on my JD 4310.
get measurement on cylinder and rod, and call Hercules rubber Clearwater Fa, they will fix you up
I need to reseal my dipper soon on the 580SL. I was considering just stretching the hoe all the way out, possibly drop off the bucket to lower it more. Then leaving the bore end in place and remove the rod end to reseal. Likely need to block up the tube some to stabilize. Hoping it to be easier that way. I figure I will still need some help to line up and reinstall the rod.
I have set this up to do this cylinder a couple of years back but at that time it was only leaking around the gland threads. Digging a trench to set the bucket in gets it right down to ground level to work on it. I backed out of a total reseal that time because the gland o-ring was just torn. I ended up stretching two o-rings from a Mazda oil filter on it and just putting the gland back in. This time I WILL put a tarp or piece of plywood under the boom to cover the hole. Last time I dropped a tool in and had a heck of a time getting it out with the boom down in there. We are supposed to get some rain soon so I'm putting it on hold till I see several days of dry weather in the forecast.