Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HELP PLEASE! What do I need for tag and how to set up IFTA in NC???

AlanD · 2019-07-15 13:26

Newbie here!! I live in NC and have been trying to save myself hours of driving and spent going to Raleigh to see what I need to do and/or bring to get a tag and how to set up my IFTA on my Semi I just purchased! I keep calling and calling without any luck of getting through to anyone! Please, can anyone help me with this information of costs, what paperwork I need, etc. Any information will be much appreciated! My truck is a 1990 GM Tractor5 axle. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Replies3
  1. #1Junkyard2019-07-15 17:40

    Do you have a DOT #? Have you paid the 2290 tax? Insurance? Are you leasing to a carrier? If so you’ll need a copy of the lease. IFTA is easier to setup than getting a tag. If you don’t have the DOT # yet then you need to start there. I’m assuming you’re going interstate since you mentioned IFTA. Along with that there are several states that charge their own taxes based on mileage. It’s not terribly difficult it’s just time consuming. One good resource for helping get setup is OOIDA. Years ago they helped me.

  2. #2AlanD2019-07-16 07:49

    Yes, I have a DOT #! I have not paid the 2290 tax yet considering that will have to be paid when getting the tag. I do already have it set up on insurance. No, I am not a leasing carrier. Thank you for your help!

  3. #3workshoprat922019-07-16 13:38

    Most all states have a good website that will walk you through that. Thats why you cant get anyone on the phone. They have all moved it online and preffer you do it there. Not answering is them forcing you online and they have less staff to pay. Also you dont need to pay 2290. You do need to fike to get recipt to get your plates but you can claim w exemption and pay nothing. If you do go over 5k miles you can file an amended form 2290 at that time and pay then. This is what I would do. Spend as little up front get off the dime and get rolling. Get some revenue coming in first then pay it!