Hey all, I have a 1970's era 580ck and I want to start troubleshooting the grayish black smoke at idle. It has done this since I have owned the machine but I don't like it. Doesn't matter if the machine is hot or cold and it doesn't smoke when running the backhoe or driving down the road at higher rpm's, just when idling. I decided to take a video using my infrared camera of the exhaust manifold and realized one cylinder is 15-20 degrees cooler than the rest (video link below). Should I start by replacing the injector or is it possible this is the pump? Something else? The machine is not a daily workhorse by any means I just don't like the smoke and feel like it should be fixable without a rebuild. At the same time, I hate to start pulling and replacing things just to do it. Video showing cold spot from #3 cylinder exhaust manifold: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z8Z5SeCzjbJdJJZ3CnApayYOwNvgDG6-uA Thanks for your help!
First thing to do in this situation, is pull the injectors & carry out a compression test. If compression is reasonably even between cylinders - then have the injectors checked.
While a compression test is an excellent idea if the tools are not readily available how about just swapping injectors between two cylinders? If the cold cylinder reading follows the injector you have your answer. If not done already a check of valve adjustments might also be a good idea.
Its probably not the pump seeing it has 1 pumping unit for all the cylinders.. The injectors are cheap enough to just replace if u buy them on the web{ebay} They're 3x the price if buying from a fuel shop..or Case. OR it doesn't cost anything to SWAP it to another hole..
I was thinking that too, but has been many years since I worked on the 188 Case engines we had in skid-steers and a small Carry deck crane!
Hopefully you can pull the injectors without bending them.....
Thanks all, sounds like it could be more than just a bad injector. I like the idea of swapping to another cylinder but I'm afraid I may damage them pulling them out. I may just get a new injector and start there since they are so cheap but if I can get all of them out I will do the compression test. It'll be a few weeks before I get to this, thanks for the advice on where to start.