Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dealer / product support, who stands behind their equipment the best?

Track ยท 2012-12-29 12:07

I am looking to buy another excavator, The Hitachi EX200-5 I have has been imposible to get dealer support as far as diagnostic tools like DR EX, DR ZX, and now they are going to a PC or Laptop only tool that reqires a subscription for the newer models. I know Hitachi has a deal worked out with John Deere here in North America, that's all good, but if I can't get the tools to work on the machine, what good is it and why would I buy another, I won't. I bought the CD and cables on E-bay and there is no code to get it working, the dealer doesn't help. I bought the DR ZX palm, went to a bunch of trouble getting the thing loaded and the right cables and it doesn't work. I bought the DR ZX WIN Doctor for lap tops, and cables and it doesn't work! I have problems with the electrical sensors and controls on my machine I replaced the DP sensor, a bunch of switches and wiring, and am looking to replace it with another brand that will be supported 10 years from now, and I buy used. Is Cat with their ET or Electronic Troubleshooter the only option? I know Komatsu has a built in diagnostic tool on the newer machines, but parts are expensive and can be hard to get. The company I work for has Volvo and I don't like the Matris or Tech Tool (subscription that requires updating the computer every 9 weeks or it expires) and I'm not impressed with the over all Volvo experience. THe machines lack syncronicity between the engine and hydraulics, or they arent tuned right, they bog down and almost stall out and the dealer has been unable to fix this. What about CASE, LINK BELT, OR? Who stands behind the used excavator market? That is who I will buy from next so let me hear your sugestions, thanks in advance

Replies13
  1. #1JGS Parts2012-12-29 13:54

    well mate an old EX200-5 is an old machine seen them run for years on the worst oil and fuel in the world tough out asia and africa and they keep on going. but to me you sound like you hate volvo to be hounest you almost sound like a CAT dealer haha, well mate whats your budget? that is going to be the main contributing factor. Also sounds like you are expecting a new machine feel on the used machine you are looking at.

  2. #2Track2012-12-29 15:25

    Yes the EX200-5 is an old machine with low hours 5K, and no I'm not a cat dealer. Given the complexity of an excavator I think this is an important issue. I like the Hitachi and John deere allot, just not enough to buy another one with the lack of dealer support for the older stuff as far as diagnostic tools goes, I was a mechanic for Cat years ago, and do work on their equipment, not their excavators. A friend that is an excavator mechanic for Cat has cautioned me from their track hoes, but they are a serious contender. As far as hating Volvos, not really. I'm just tired of fixing them and clearing codes, and the manuals are difficult to work with and they seem kind of cheap quality. I am asking about dealer product support and who you may think is the best out there. All machines break down, the next one I get I want to be able to diagnose, find parts and repair myself. I don't expect new machine feel, as far as budget, around 50K is what I am trying to keep under for a 20-25 ton machine not worn out in decent shape.

  3. #3John C.2012-12-29 15:47

    Your location puts you at a big disadvantage, but you chose to live there. Support for machinery is a based on your location first and the iron you use second. Just how do you suppose that anyone who has never been to Alaska would know anything about the support for machines up there? Your complaining about prices and support for twenty year old machines is probably more complaining about having to spend more money to support your machine than anything else. Everyone is dealing with it and there is nothing you as an individual can do about it but pay up or get out of the business. What you are going through is just the cost of business. Perhaps you could reword your question to ask what is being done different now as compared to the machine models built in the past. Most all the heavy equipment built now has the diagnostics built into the machine. Fault codes are now explained on the monitor panels in most machines. When something goes wrong in most cases you have the chance of figuring it out and fixing it yourself. If you can't, well that is also the cost of being in that particular business. Good Luck!

  4. #4mw852012-12-29 16:00

    I would go with komatsu. If you keep the oils clean they last. Pc 300 - 7 or 8 is a hard machine to beat.

  5. #5Scrub Puller2012-12-29 16:49

    Yair . . . Theres a poster on here called Alaska4x4 and another one King of Obsolete they don't seem to have any electronic issues. As I have mentioned before there is a contracter here remanufacturing pre-electronic machinery for use in remote areas I can't see it would be any big deal. Cheers.

  6. #6JGS Parts2012-12-29 16:56

    hey scrub puller mate i have sold a few machines in aus now following your ideas about basic running gear no computers and things like that got some positive feedback yesterday about 2 of the machines. biggest issue you have with selling them to the states or anywhere is getting them into the contry beacuse of the EPA laws

  7. #7Track2012-12-29 17:15

    John C, I do chose to live here in Alaska. There were job opertunities for me here that paid well compared to what I could find in the rest of the country. I'm not complaining about prices. I am asking what excavators people have had really good experiences with in regards to diagnostic tools, and parts availability. I like the Komatsu MW85 refrenced. And the posts by scrub puller and JGS parts are interesting, but not very helpful. machine. The machines that people are using right now are the market I am going to be looking at in the future when I get a newer excavator. I really like the onboard diagnostics, great feature. I was hoping to hear from some other excavator owners about the other brands out there, and there are a bunch of them. Thanks

  8. #8excavator2012-12-29 17:58

    In reading your post I saw that you've replaced a DP sensor. As far as I remember an EX 200-5 does not have a DP sensor, only the dash 2 & 3 machines used DP sensors. What is the serial number on your machine? Generaly speaking, when someone tells me they cannot get support from Hitachi on their EX 200-5, they usually have a grey market machine. Especially on the west coast there seems to be more grey market 200-5's than domestic ones. And there is a significant difference between the two. As far as the Dr ZX is concerned, I have several different versions and they all work great. But they were not bought off E-BAY from someone in China. I've looked at some of that diagnostic stuff from China and the price is very tempting but have wondered how reliable they would be. Let us know your serial number and we'll help you determine what series machine you have.

  9. #9Scrub Puller2012-12-29 19:13

    Yair . . . JGS Parts. Good one mate. The more I look around the earthmoving scene the more I believe some of the so called "improvements" are really a step backwards. I sat in a paddock the other day watching a couple of 25 ton excavators on road job excavation, cutting batter and table drain to grade with GPS/laser. Scratching around with four or five trucks waiting . . . absolute bull##it. None of the "high production" features of the rigs were being used. I am no excavator hand but I could have bulked it out quicker with a 1970's Kato 1100 . . . and then jumped onto a D6 and tidied it up ready for a light trim with the grader--they make mountains out of mole hills. I think we are stuck with the electronics on engines but I think we manufacturers should get back to a bit of sanity with the rest of the machine . . . a good start would be some revised dashes with proper replaceable two inch gauges and standard generic high quality toggle switches in place of overpriced plastic part numbered abominations. Does anyone actualy know the life of the digital displays? . . . and it's not as though they're cheap. Gone O/T again, apologies to original poster. End of rant. Cheers.

  10. #10Track2012-12-29 19:35

    Excavator, The serial # is AUE XXXX made in Malasia imported to Canada and then to Alaska, it's probablly a grey market machine. THe engine was changed out to an EPA compliant one, it looks the same except the valve cover. THe DRZX I bought doesn't work on my friends John Deere 200 either, and his machine is Identical to mine except he has a John Deere engine, mine has the isuzu. THe Palm Pilot and DRZX hooks up and everything, it just isn't communicating. THe Win Doctor I need the password. THe pressure differential switch on the pump was swapped out, no difference, so the origonal went back in. My gripe is that the dealer doesn't sell the DRZX, or cables, not just for my machine but all EX's. They sell parts all day long, and they are reasonably priced and available, they come in packages labeled John Deere. I have some electrical and maybe mechanical issues I am trying to diagnose. The track speed is stuck in High, the power boost button doesn't work, and the machine won't go into E-mode, and the hydraulic power fluctuates and the engine loads and unloads while performing an operation, like the swash plate changed positions or something. I am going to open up the pump next spring and see if it's something mechanical. I think the DRZX may pick up something, maybe not. I don't know where you got your DRZX, but the only place I could find one was E-bay and it's from China. Oh well. I like the idea of a mechanically controlled machine, I think it's too electronically dependant to convert, with all the sensors, computers, switches and valves.

  11. #11Scrub Puller2012-12-29 19:56

    Yair . . . Track I know this doesn't help you but I've gone O/T on your thread already . . . your very true statement below is the part I don't understand. Why has it gone so complicated? The bloke who is doing the retro remanufacturing put it to me that an excavator has a half a dozen rams going in and out and three hydraulic motors . . . how complicated can that be? Apparently he is looking into separate low-tech gear pumps, tank and valving for each function . . . I mentioned a Russian excavator on another thread that uses a series of gear-pumps driven by a gear on the flywheel. Cheers.

  12. #12JGS Parts2012-12-29 20:57

    Well scub puller mate i want to know how come the chinese can get the machines to work woth out all the high tech stuff and trust me they are trying to save everydollar they can so when the local rep comes around banging on about fuel and tech to save money you son find out they have it all by passed in a few months as it is not worth it , think about all that money you save they say well got a replace a solinoid bank that will cost you more money then you saved all year in fuel . and a computer and things its all a load of crap just to sell you parts and make them more money.

  13. #13Hendrik2012-12-29 21:12

    Far as I can tell as this electronic wizardry is about saving fuel. However a good operator can probably do just as well by throttling down when full power is not needed.