Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Decision on a miniex, opinions between choices

mjpetersen · 2010-01-27 14:45

I am going to buy a miniex and have found 3 different machines that I am considering in my price range. I will use the machine for general landscaping, small stump removal, and digging next to foundation. I have gleaned from reading this forum and others that these are some of the highest rated machines. I would love to get the opinions of anyone who has run one or more of these machines. 1994 Takeuchi TB015 with 3000hours, track width expansion, and 16 in bucket sold by Takeuchi dealer for $7,600. 1995 Yanmar B17 with 3770 hours and 2 buckets (16 and 24 in) sold by individual for $8680. 1996 Kubota KX41 with 3600 hours, 5 buckets (8 to 24 in), new seat, and trailer sold by company which had it since new for $8680. All the prices are what is listed and are negotiable. The kubota is close by, but the tb015 and Yanmar are each about 4 hours away (in opposite directions). Any opinions? Mike

Replies31
  1. #1nobull12010-01-27 18:00

    It looks like the 1994 Takeuchi TB015 doesn't have an enclosed cab. To me it would eliminate that one right from the start. Maybe you don't work in cold or in nasty weather, but I do and a cab is important IMO. Another thing to keep in mind is parts availability. If parts and service are harder to obtain for one than the others I would eliminate that one from the list. You will need parts and getting them in a reasonable time is important IMO.

  2. #2Anto Modded2010-01-28 11:12

    I have all kubota, have a kx41-2s and love it. Had that model in the pic before and loved it. Couldnt kill it. Takeuchi is also a very good machine too. We always had cabs on our machines but we were always working in trees and very messy places which always led to broken glass or something. Also working in a narrow lane you couldnt open/close the door. So we went for the canopy and its alot better for what we do, but everyone is different.............

  3. #3mjpetersen2010-01-28 14:14

    Anto, is there a big difference in the operation of the 41-2 and the plain 41? When took a quick look at the kubota KX41 it did not seem to have the down pressure on the main boom that I thought it should have. Should you be able to lower the blade and pick up the machine with bucket down pressure? Or do you need to tip the machine back with the boom down pressure and then pick it up with the blade down pressure? Is there anything in particular for the KX41 that I should check for a problem. Is there anything specifically that is weak or is a problem with this machine? thanks, Mike

  4. #4strott2010-01-28 14:48

    The KX41 should have boom down pressure. If you buy the takeuchi, will you need to buy any other buckets for your tasks? if so, you will need to take into account the cost of these. It may be worth checking out the buckets which come with any of the machines as if they are really worn e.g. cutting edges/teeth then it may be helpfull to replace them as it will reduce wear on the machine and speed up the excavating time - could be an extra cost. The rubber tracks on each machine all look to be ok and have a fair bit of life in them so that isn't really a factor to take into account unless when you see them up close there are deep cracks e.t.c. As long as they have all been serviced to the manufacturers specs and greased regularly then its up to you!!

  5. #5mjpetersen2010-01-28 15:17

    strott, It does have down pressure, just that it really did not want to pick up the machine when the blade was down already--I am curious is this is normal--it sounded like the relief was triggered. I know that the pressures should be checked--I need to look into getting the a gauge and adapters to do that. The cost of replacing or buying buckets is an important point--the buckets with the Kubota look very good. I am inclined toward the kubota simply because it is local, if everything checks out on it. The sprockets do seem to be worn, but the maintenance man said that they just recently replaced the bearing in the idlers and rollers. Thanks, Mike

  6. #6Anto Modded2010-01-28 16:08

    I never noticed a diference. Usally when i start the machine i work the rams in and out for a minute before i start working it. If you dont its like its dying or under pressure, maybe that could be what happened ?. Only difference is the levers. Nicer on the older 41. Should be able to lift itself off the ground with the blade down no problem.

  7. #7excav8r2010-01-28 16:51

    all of our mini ex's are kubota and you cannot beat them IMO. As far as the boom down pressure try extending the stick as you boom down with blade down. not sure as to the reason but if you try to lift the machine with just the boom lever it will rarely go up but give the stick a little push and up she'll go. Steve

  8. #8mjpetersen2010-01-28 20:49

    Thanks guys for the advice and suggestions. I plan on taking a closer look at the Kubota today. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the help.:usa Mike

  9. #9Anto Modded2010-01-29 05:48

    Check there is good power in the tracking motors too and that it tracks in a straight line.

  10. #10Squizzy246B2010-01-29 08:25

    It strikes me that none of those machines are spring chickens...so if I was in your shoes it would be more a matter of which one has had the least flogging. Wear in pins, bushes and the performance of the hydraulics should show which one is the least worn....or probably the best maintained. I sometimes hire a very similar Yanmar. I don't think it has ever had a hydraulic oil change and I'm sure it gets greased every leap year. However, the hour meter stopped long ago at 6,600 hrs and its still doing the job.

  11. #11Jim Dandy2010-01-29 11:45

    MJ, I assume when you say you are digging next to foundations that you are doing waterproofing of basement walls. If that is the case I think you should strongly consider a zero tail swing machine. Also, make sure the machine has an offsett boom. I don't think you are going to be happy with the small machines. Would your budget and pickup accomodate a 35 size machine? I think you will be much happier, in other words I can see you buying a small machine and in 6 months seeing that it want do everything you want it to and then be stuck trying to sell it to move up or stuck with it period. You will not be able to dig very deep with the small ones and an 8' deep basement wall could maybe present some problems. Just my thoughts on what I think you want out of machine. Good luck.

  12. #12mjpetersen2010-01-29 13:56

    A closer look at the KX41 I went and checked out the KX41 today. It had not been started for some time and it has been very cold--like 15 below F--but warmer today 26 F. It started right up without any hesitation. The undercarriage seems to be in very good state. No leaks quick movement and straight tracking (thanks for the suggestion Anto:notworthy). What I was disappointed in is the slop in just about every pin and bushing. The bucket was so sloppy that if I come back to the machine, I will pull that pin and see if the wear is into the material of the stick. Secondly 3 cylinders were seeping oil. The boom cylinder is bypassing internally. Third, there is a fuel leak of some kind on the back side of the engine, I could not see exactly where without pulling the seat and a panel, probably just a line, but needs to be checked. The heater works nicely, the buckets are in good shape and the trailer is in fair shape. But. . . there is a lot of work needed in order to get the machine ready to work. I think that I will go look at the Yanmar on Monday. I really was not impressed with the closer look here. Jim, My budget will prohibit me from going bigger (and my tow vehicle). The foundation walls specifically that I have in mind is only a meter deep. Squizzy, I have read many of your threads about your Yanmar. I am inclined to agree--but that is the restrictions of budget. It is good to hear that these machines are durable. Mike

  13. #13strott2010-01-29 14:33

    I think the shape/angle of the boom on the 41 prevents the machine from lifting itself up without a bit of help from the dipper arm. Was there any sign of regular greasing of the machine - if not that would explain the bad wear and could show that the owners haven't really taken much care of the machine e.g. immediatley digging when the rams are frozen/frosty without warming them up (like anto moddded said) could cause the seals to leak e.t.c P.S.What does the boom cyclinder bypassing internally mean??!!

  14. #14Anto Modded2010-01-29 15:50

    Yanmar looks clean too, the takeuchi has be re sprayed. You may look at alot more before yo find the right one

  15. #15mjpetersen2010-01-29 15:53

    There seemed to be lots of grease at each fitting. So it looks like it got greased regularly. When I pushed out with the dipper it popped right up off the ground. I could get it up but as soon as I released the stick it eased back down--really rather quickly. I figure that it is bypassing internally because only this cylinder acted this way. If it were the valve, usually more than one movement would leak down. Although it is harder to put a load on the other cylinders. There are a lot more available, I put what I thought were the 3 most likely. I know that I will do better if I am patient. I know that Tak has been painted and that was a plus for the Yanmar and kubota. Mike

  16. #16strott2010-01-30 14:23

    I don't think the boom should drop under pressure quickly (obviously it would over time like the dozer blade ram does but that takes a good 2-3 days for that to happen!!) - Maybe Anto modded can confirm this as he ran one. If you can take your time then do as the ball is in your court not the sellers!!

  17. #17lectro882010-01-30 22:10

    I also feel like you are looking at beat up machines. I would add try auctions. I bought a 2005 tb135 less than 1000 hrs. for less than $9000 a real cream puf of a machine. My best advise, don't be in a hurry, just be ready. There is plenty of really good equipment at low $$$

  18. #18mjpetersen2010-01-31 08:50

    lectro88, I agree that the kubota was pretty "beat up." There is a Yanmar that is for sale not much more than an hour away that I will try to slip away and look at tomorrow. It does not have a cab only a canopy, a dealer has it so we will see. The bad thing about that is that the history is less known. It also only has a skarpówka ( I think that is a grading bucket in English). Well each will stand or fall on their own. I am an optimist and the next machine is always going to be better.

  19. #19lectro882010-01-31 12:21

    I will admit that I have no idea what the market is like in your part of the woods. Here there are so many machines that have no work to do, they are just sitting. To clarify my previous post, "beat up" I don't really mean paint and scratches. I mean worn undercarriages, hydraulic bypassing, or weak hydraulics, high hours, not maintained, etc. Just MHO, I have little faith in dealers with used equipment. On a trade in, I feel you have to give them yours, and buy theirs. Then they try to sell a used machine for primo price. You will know when you find your machine, wishing you the best of luck & looking forward to hearing about your new addition.

  20. #20mjpetersen2010-01-31 13:35

    The market here is not like in the states, for me unfortunately. There is even a high demand for the kind of infrastructure and installation work associated with a boomtime. The city where I am starting a church has just put in miles of city sewer lines and everybody now needs to do their part and hook up to it. The new houses and apartments are going in by the scores as people move out of Warsaw to the outlying areas. Prices of land has skyrocketed and all the building has placed huge demands on the ability of the service units to keep up. Of course right now things are down and everything is frozen up. And prices a a little lower than they will be at the end of March. I have an inherent distrust of dealers, knowing that they buy low, do minimum work and sell high. The Yanmar that is in the first pictures with a cab is about 4 hours away and for sale by an individual, so I thought that I would check this one out that is only about an hour away. Mike

  21. #21Anto Modded2010-02-01 18:50

    Would you import a machine, cause in ireland there are loads of good machines around. Im sure allowing for shipping it might pay off. I seen a new 1.7 ton hitachi with a full cab, hitch , 4 bucets and a breaker for 12500 euro. I know your budget is different but there is good buys out there

  22. #22Iron Man2010-02-01 19:11

    Bobcat I'm voting for Bobcat.

  23. #23Anto Modded2010-02-01 19:17

    Thats a 2.5 - 3.5 tonner..............is he not after a smaller machine. Nice machine, the boom arm looks like a 75 urv arm scaled down

  24. #24mjpetersen2010-02-01 20:59

    Yea that looks like a beast. My search is for a 1.5 ton machine. I would not have the ability to tow something that big. Talk about the tail wagging the dog! I will find one that I can afford and that work for me. It is not going to be my living, but rather a part time, when I have time thing. I do not mind fixing something, but not everytime all the time.:Banghead I would not mind importing something, but distance is a concern. I would not want to drive all over Europe looking at machines. I have only checked the one machine out closely--I have a few more on my short list to check out so we will see. There are more that come available everyday. A Yanmar B12 was listed for the first time yesterday but clear over by Germany--7-8 hours away! Not so easy to just pop in and check it out. Mike

  25. #25strott2010-02-02 14:34

    I dont think the Yanmar B12 doesn't has servo controls where as the B17 you've pictured does - so if they are a must for you then bear that in mind!!

  26. #26mjpetersen2010-02-02 15:03

    I am going to show my ignorance here , but here goes anyway. This is the way that you learn right? The servo controls means that the controls are electronic rather than mechanical linkage? I have done a bit of searching but I cannot find the difference between the older style Yanmars B-12, B-14, and B-17. I believe that the B-17 had a 2 speed drive, but beyond that I do not know what the differences are. Does anyone know of a source for that kind of information? Mike

  27. #27Anto Modded2010-02-02 17:44

    Servo is the joystick controls, under the joystick is 4 hydraulic hoses, where as the older levers where mechanical, worked on rods that wint back to the valve chest. Thats my understanding of this...............Hope im right

  28. #28strott2010-02-03 14:24

    I am not entirely sure on the exact difference on the older yanmar mini's but from what I have worked out: The Yanmar B12 is the base spec mini, short boom/dipper combination, no servo controls. The B14 had servo controls and possibly a bigger boom/dipper and maybe more power output than the B12. The B17 looks to have a larger boom/dipper than the B12/B14, servo controls and as you say 2 speed tracking - no doubt this machine had an uprated engine/pump to provide the best power/breakout force of the 3 mini's in the 1.5 ton range

  29. #29gpap1232010-02-09 06:32

    i agree with you.

  30. #30strott2010-02-09 15:16

    Yep I believe that is right - although some joystick/non servo machines are cable operated which is where the bottom of the joystick is connected to the valves on the valve block by a cable instead of being directly attached to the valve block.

  31. #31gpap1232010-02-18 11:55

    Interesting... i ve never seen anything like this.