Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pintle Eye extension

Brandt ยท 2022-05-22 18:58

I need to lengthen my pup tongue by 2'. It seems the easiest way to do it would be to use a 2" diameter piece of rod then weld/bolt the rod to a new pintle eye. My question is what type of steel does the rod need to be? I don't want it to bend easily, but snapping would also be bad. I can go with a thicker rod, but the end will have to be turned down to 2" OD to fit into the existing trailer tongue. The pup will never exceed 36K pounds, I have no way of measuring the down force on the tongue.

Replies8
  1. #11466IH2022-05-22 20:03

    Can you post some pictures? A 2' long 2" rod is not going to be a good idea

  2. #2Brandt2022-05-22 21:25

    The lower pic is the other end that I have to work with.

  3. #3525isx2022-05-23 00:39

    that looks like a premier 207 swivel eye. the proper way to lengthen the tongue would involve re-working the square tubing part of the tongue,and looks like new bushings and swivel eye are in order

  4. #41466IH2022-05-23 11:00

    Most definitely lengthen square tube. Should not a big deal for a descent welder. Get a tube that slides iver you existing tube about 4' long. Cut holes to plug weld and notch the ends so you have no welds straight across main tube

  5. #51466IH2022-05-23 11:01

    Most definitely lengthen square tube. Should not a big deal for a descent welder. Get a tube that slides iver you existing tube about 4' long. Cut holes to plug weld and notch the ends so you have no welds straight across main tube

  6. #6Jumbo2022-05-29 20:26

    A new reach isn't all that much money, extending the ring or the reach (By welding) starts messing with an engineered design. For the cost of a reach, I would not do any welding. There are enough old pups sitting around you can probably buy a complete reach for the cost of scrap plus a six pack.

  7. #7525isx2022-05-29 21:23

    1466ih has the right idea - a full length piece of tube be pretty expensive these days, Jumbo - I had to by a reach last summer , to get 1/4 inch wall I had to order through farwest in kent, of course the 7x9 is probably a little more pricey than standard structural sizes

  8. #8Brandt2022-05-30 12:10

    For this summer I can get by running it as is. By my math I can only gross 78 and change - shouldn't be a big deal this year. I'll have it set up longer for next year.