My 120C has visible slack where the boom mounts to the frame. I can see it moving out the window so wanted to address it before the pin wore through the bushing. Upon removal the bushings and pin are basically fine but where the pin contacts the main frame is worn oblong. :-( I wasn't expecting this issue. So I came across the attached diagram in the parts breakdown. Can't find anything about this "expander pin option" anywhere so far. Does anyone know how this would work and will it address my problem? I realize the "oblong" wear is an issue. This is a farm use machine and won't see over 100 hours a year. Any helpful advice is appreciated. Novice excavator mechanic here. The biggest wear is in the areas circled in red just to sort of illustrate what I'm working with here.
This is the pin the parts page references. https://www.nord-lock.com/expander-system/
Here's a thread about my repairs on the 120. HeavyEquipmentForums That's what line boring it looks like. If you pull the boom and do all the r&r work, see what a guy will come out and line for that for you with a field setup. The pin was about 600 bucks from John Deere. If your lucky the boom doesn't need any line boring and you can just replace those bushings. I reused the spacer and bought a couple of new seals for that area. Of course I did a lot of other work but this is just addressing your question.
Thanks. I looked at that and assume that's what this would be. I finally found something that indicated there was some tolerance for "out of round" and I may be within that.
I hate that I missed your posts before. Thanks for linking that. I will let the group know how mine progresses.
Followup. After much discussion and back and forth I've decided to use Nord-Lock's expander pin. This seems like the best and most cost efficient solution for me. There were just a LOT of logistical/cost issues with line boring I won't "bore" everyone with details about. FYI the tech at Nord-Lock has been GREAT to work with and explain everything to me and patient with my questions. Right now the expanding pin is ordered and will update once it's installed. Thanks for everyone's help.
I have a zx160lc looking at doing the same thing If you don't mind me asking what was the cost for the expanding pin Thanks
Btad I sent you a PM.
Hey I have 120c that's doing the same thing very interested in that expanding pin. Where did you get it and what was the cost?
I filled out the form on the nord lock website and someone contacted me by email. Then he called me on the phone and we discussed my application and my measurements to be sure it would work. I'm still waiting on my pin to be built and shipped. Should be here the end of this month. I don't have the exact invoice close by but it was about $2k