Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help with excavator stalling out

Vadim17 · 2022-11-28 10:27

I got a 1999 john deere 120 excavator, and I started it this morning fine and it died out of nowhere. If I try to start it, it starts for a split second and turns off again. The key ignition is kinda sloppy and I can take the key out with it running not sure if it could be that. Any thoughts?

Replies3
  1. #1seville0092022-11-28 10:34

    I’d start with the basics - check for fuel, and then clogged fuel filters.

  2. #2Vadim172022-11-28 14:13

    Okay just an update, turns out it was the fuel solenoid. I held it with with hand and had somone crank on it and it started right up. The part is a few days out, does anyone know if I can just bungee the rod back so I can keep working or will this harm somthing? Thanks

  3. #3skyking12022-11-28 16:00

    You can, but if anything goes wonky while you're operating it, you won't be able to shut it down quickly. I was never comfortable running a machine like that because of blown hoses etc. If the throttle works at least you could throttle it down.