Didn't think this would happen for a while, not sure why, but I was on Deere's site and noticed the 120 D is out. The C model wasn't out too terribly long and now they have a D. Still can't get used to the black boom, just isn't right. :nono: http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/media/pdf/excavator/DKAX120D160D.pdf
I am lovin' the arrow on the under carriage. I need one of those.
You knew the D was comin soon, the D series started showin up 2 years ago already. I personally think the arrow on there looks dumb, their finally catering to the less intelligent.
that arrow is a very nice touch , I dont like that black boom either.
What are the down arrows for? Telling you which side goes onto the dirt? ointhead Trbo
I ran a 850 D needless to say their was'nt any arrows on it when I got to it! The black boom looks kind of volvo ish to but I'm indifferent towards it.
I like the black helps when u are swing in to the sun and helps u stay focus on the bucket
Yes, It says this side down.
Yup, and the new zaxis -3's for Hitachi look dumb too, what's with the multi coloring of the cab etc.? Horrible color combo's. That's my downfall with equipment I can't just operate them, I have to nit pick everything right down to the color they painted it. huh, oh well.
Ah the color just lets everyone know who has a newer fleet... That's why everybody get's upset... I like the look of the new deere's and the D series Cats... Gotta keep swinging to the bank... LOL
They could paint it up like a traveling hippie van and I'd still trade my 490E for that 120D... That is a very nice machine! Truth be known, I hate it when they start making too many color schemes on a piece of equipment... It makes getting it repainted all that much more expensive.
I am definately digging the black boom and stick now. It does seriously cut down on glare, and the machine doesn't look like such a piece of crap when you end up with grease all over the place at the boom/stick joint. While I do have my reservations about the D series, the paintjob is definately a high point for me.
X2 i like the black booms and stics on the new D's!
Not a fan of having a black boom and stick, particulary black stick, because of its reduced visibility. I think its better if construction machines in general are brightly painted. Am thinking of situations such as trucks backing up with the mirrors covered in rain or getting sun glare etc. Also when on roadworks with existing traffic you are better having everything bright, there are lots of drivers out there with minimal interest in looking where they are going. Its only a small point but doesnt make sense to have workers walking around with hi-viz gear without applying the same logic to the machines.
You bring up a good point... Your probably right
There is a solution to your concerns, we have reflective strips we are using on the sides of the arm. The grey front end attachments have been researched exstensively and have proven more postive than negative.
Welcome to the Heavy Equipment Forums. By what do you mean more positive....visibilty??, appearance...just curious.
There was more positive points of view towards the grey front attachments then there were negative points of view. Everyone is going to have their own opinion and experience with every aspect of their machine. Control, visibility, power, comfort, and so on, but what is the most important to the majority of people. I have had to inspect machines after accidents to testify for lawsuits and give my expert opinion for which it is just that my opinion from my experience. I can tell you that I would much rather worry about having a truck driver smack my boom/arm than worry about getting boom/arm glare while operating and then crushing a laborer in a trench or elsewhere on the jobsite. So Volvo had it right first when they went to a grey boom/arm and used reflective strips to help visibility to people on the ground. The operator is in control and is in control of his surroundings, he makes the rules and anyone who says otherwise can walk. Overall most customers liked the new grey boom/arm for appearance (looks good) and visibilty....
I'm still not getting the glare from the boom like ya'll are taking about we have a volvo excavator and I have never had a problem with any glare as you said the grey cut down on the glare amount. We also have a daewwo excavator which is BRIGHT orange and I have never been blinded by the stick color... it's alwasy the sun on a dirty windsheild instead. Or maybe it's just because every excavator we own have thumbs that cover up most of the paint on the stick. Just stick glare
It all depends on the angle and the where the sun is at on the horizon, your thumb is most likely cutting any glare you might have normally received on a bright colored boom/arm.
Is it me or did they finally put a little longer undercarriage on the 120D. That is one nice setup the only thing it needs now is front screens. But I still love my 490E. Its been a good one:angel:beerchug
The 490E is an awesome machine, has your "A" sensor been adjusted lately to get max performance out of it.
I love hearing the nice comments about the 490E... I have one with 6300 hours on it and it seems to still be in great condition. It has been a real workhorse, but it's nice to know I'm not the only fan of that model. I don't know anything about an "A" sensor... What am I needed to adjust??? www.petersfamilytrucking.com
angle sensor is the sensor that tells the PVC where the pump swash plate is, min-max displacement. Adjustment of this sensor effects when the pump begins to destroke at pressure settings within the PVC software. This is a fine adjustment that either make your machine not dig very well or make it overheat because it is getting overloaded. I would have this sensor adjusted every 1000hours, but only by a tech who knows his excavators. A good operator can feel 2cm3 of adjustment, which is like .010 of a inch adjustment. This makes a huge difference in how your machine operates under a load.
Thank you very much... I will DEFINITELY not try adjusting it myself! If anyone knows how to get an affordable radiator for a 490E, I would appreciate it. J.D. wants WAY TOO MUCH!!!! www.petersfamilytrucking.com