Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 17D broken parts identification help

File not found · 2024-12-02 14:32

I have found these broken metal fragments recently in the areas I’ve used the 17D digger. There is also a bit of an o-ring that is a similar size. There seems to be bits from at least two rings. Can anyone identify them from the 17D? They may not actually be from the digger, as I can’t see any obvious place they from, and they quite lightweight metal. Maybe a coincidence, but I am recently not able to tension the tracks. I assumed it just ran out of stroke. The tracks are pretty old and cracked, so I was going to get new ones. Then I found these bits, and now a bit more concerned. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1Welder Dave2024-12-03 02:30

    Track tensioner over extended and broke?

  2. #2File not found2024-12-03 11:40

    I’ll attempt track removal and further investigation. In doing more research, it could be the remains of a front idler seal.

  3. #3Vetech632024-12-03 14:22

    Could be from a failed idler.

  4. #4File not found2024-12-05 15:07

    The idlers had failed. I suspect the parts were the item 4 seals. The bearings seem to have also disappeared.