Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 310A brakes

colson04 ยท 2018-04-24 23:27

Well, after sitting for 2 months, my 310A has zero brakes. I ran it about 15 hours so back in February and all was good. Machine ran well, started strong, no leaks. Flash forward to yesterday. Go to get machine from my Dads house where it's been sitting since February. Fluid levels are good, tires aired up, snow chains off. Starts up instantly. Let machine idle for a minute or so, take a walk around looking for leaks, then check hydraulic functions. Loader, backhoe and steering are all nornal. Put it in reverse and go to inch backwards and instantly my right foot falls to the floor. Absolutely no pressure on the pedal. Neither one. No external leaks anywhere around machine. Our plan is to bleed the brakes on Thursday morning when I have some free time. We'll start there and see where it goes. I really don't want to pull the master cylinder unless it's absolutely necessary.

Replies9
  1. #1HankTO2018-04-28 02:43

    Colson04 I have a 310B and am curious to how you made out.

  2. #2HankTO2018-04-28 10:27

    This is what happened to me. I had a slight leak on the brake line that fed the left rear. Even though it was leaking I had pedal. I replaced the line and left it disconnected from the transaxle figuring I would push the fluid in and air out. It didnt work cause I didnt have any pedal and no fluid transfer. I reatached the line and had pedal. I then bled the air at the bleed port on top of the axle. All is good now. My leak was where the line went through a bracket on top of the transmissiin case. Also you may have a cracked flare and not know it. Hope its something simple like this. Good luck.

  3. #3colson042018-04-28 11:48
  4. #4colson042018-04-28 11:55

    Well, I currently have the seat and all the floor pans out. I found the bleeders, pulled and cleaned them and bled brakes. Made no difference. No pressure on either brake pedal. I followed the procedure from Deere manual and also called my local farm mechanic who verified it was correct and gave me a couple tips. Local mechanic said to try redoing the pedal equalizing procedure next, but if that doesn't help then I'm probably going to have to pull the brake valve. There are no brake system hydraulic leaks on machine and the fact that I suddenly lost both brakes leads my mechanic to think I have a failed brake valve. Also, all other hydraulic functions operate normally still.

  5. #5colson042018-04-28 11:56

    Also, when I bled the brakes, it did pump fluid out, but at a slow dribble. No gush like doing automotive brakes. Is that normal or not? I've never bled tractor brakes before.

  6. #6HankTO2018-04-28 12:40

    I bled mine using a hand pump from Harbor Freight worked well. Like I mentioned above the open line made both sides fail (No pedal at all left or right ). If you get your hands on a bleed pump pull the fluid until it runs clean. Mine was dark and dirty at first. I hope its that simple.

  7. #7HankTO2018-04-28 13:18

    As far as bleeding procedure I did the same as blleding a car as well with no luck (because the pedals weren't there until I hooked the line back up to the trans axle). Even then it was like you said sort of dribbling out. Thats when I hooked up the vacuum pump.

  8. #8T-town2018-04-28 16:06

    When I bled mine ( 310b) I put a clear section of hose from the bleeder to back to the hydro dip stick tube. You can see what and how much per stroke your pushing thru. Mine did push a couple inches worth as I recall.... makes easy to see the air too. On mine, the tractor needs to be running... to supply oil for the bleed.......

  9. #9HankTO2018-04-28 18:32

    I didnt run mine when I tried to bleed by using the pedal.It makes sence. Thanks