Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 310B Reverser

kshouman · 2014-11-10 23:23

Hi all, I have a John Deere 310B Backhoe that is new to me. The reverser shifted pretty hard and had no neutral, it was either forward or reverse, and would stall the engine if I didn’t use the main clutch. I got an operators manual, and after reading it I am still not sure exactly how the reverser should work. Should the engine stall or should the reverser clutches slip under heavy load? The operators manual mentioned an adjusting screw under the tractor to slow the direction change so I tried adjusting it and things got worse. Now it does not want to go into reverse. Anyone know anything about how these are supposed to work? What else can be adjusted? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Replies9
  1. #1AllDodge2014-11-13 10:49

    Don't know my self but my posting will bump it up so someone else my provide some input

  2. #2kshouman2014-11-13 21:53

    Thanks for the help. Update is I got it shifting good. Turns out it will not go into reverse when in High Range and the adjusting screw slowed down shifting. Seems odd since most info I have seen on 310Bs indicate 8 forward and reverse speeds. Still no neutral on the reverser. I would still love to hear how this machine is suppose to operate if anyone knows.

  3. #3OldandWorn2014-11-14 12:18

    It should go into reverse in high range. Sometimes they are a little hard to find neutral if the detentes are worn and the linkage is sloppy, but there is one.

  4. #4gunracer12014-11-30 16:15

    mine works in high and low with a netural in both.

  5. #5Thomas Peine2019-07-28 00:23

    What serial number do you have? To my understanding there wasn't a neutral on the reverser in the early machines? I'll look at my service manual tomorrow and tell you the serial number starting neutral on the reverser. Also, no reverse on 5-8 and only shift in high range when moving and double clutching.

  6. #6Delmer2019-07-28 09:44

    Old thread here. If it has 8 speeds forward, then it has 4 in reverse, no 5-8R like Thomas says. That's a powershift transmission, didn't think the 310B had a powershift, but the letters on the serial number plate are confusing so who know's what we're talking about. The reverser that I thought would be on a 310 has a torque converter and goes in front of a 4sp gear box.

  7. #7Thomas Peine2019-07-28 14:56

    It does have a 4 speed gear box but with high and low, range making 8 selections. I have a 72. It has a reverser with fwd and reverse but no neutral. Service manual and parts manual show that before a certain serial number they did not have no trouble on the reverser. Still haven't gotten out to my shop to look this up. Sorry. I do wish mime had a neutral as one could use the break to slow the machine a bit before shifting into the opposite direction. I can vary my throttle of course, it's just nice to have options.

  8. #8Thomas Peine2019-08-03 01:34

    This is showing the neutral lock/detent starting 164928

  9. #9Thomas Peine2019-08-03 01:40

    This is saying the reverse only allows 4 reverse speeds in low but non in high. It allows 4 fwd speed in low and 4 in high