My 2012 Deere 310SJ backhoe will not move when first started without holding the throttle to the floor, it will very slowly start moving and after a few hundred feet it will finally stop slipping and drive great the rest of the day. It does it in forward or reverse and in any gear. It has done this since i bought it 4 years ago but seems to be getting worse. I have changed all fluids and filters that I can find and use JD hygard oil. It also has a minor leak somewhere above the transmission but under the cab that I can’t find.
That seems really strange to me. Usually weak hydraulics work better when cold and play out when the machine warms up. Yours seems to do the opposite of that. Any codes? Is transmission fluid at proper level on dip stick? Welcome to HEF, by the way. Best to post your serial # since there are more than one version of 310SJ. Experts here will need that info.
Same thing with mine, same year. I posted a thread about it a couple of weeks ago. 310SJ Delayed Transmission Engagement Thanks all for your helpful advice. I finished reading the thread from JLSargent...like a good suspense story. Superb explanation from everyone and hats off to you all undertaking these major repairs. Although I learned a lot, Í hope I don't have to go that route in the near future with the ZF... HeavyEquipmentForums I must say the issue has gone away with a bit of overfilling my transmission fluid as suggested here by mg2361 and Steve. Had not posted waiting for sure the issue has gone away.
I tried overfilling mine too, no noticeable difference, and I overfilled it a lot. Fluid looked clean when I changed it last year. It used to would start moving after about a minute and fully engage in about 50 feet or less, now I have to floor it and hold it to the floor, it will very slowly start moving and not fully engage until after several hundred yards. But after that it will push over trees and engage immediately forward or reverse,
It acts like something is loosing prime after sitting overnight or for months, same difference.
Welcome to HEF alabamafrog ! Please post the machine serial number. Did you go into the monitor to check for codes? First thing in the morning when the unit is not moving, perform the following (with the engine off): Press and hold the menu button until you are in the "SERVICE MENU". Scroll to diagnostics/diagnostic trans/auto test solenoids. Press select and run the auto diagnostics. Does it pass? Do you have a voltmeter?
did you clean the pickup strainer
The sn is TO310SJ161240 It passes the solenoid tests every time. Only stored code is a software mismatch code that it has had since i bought it. 234.02 I have noticed it really doesn’t seem to matter how long I let it warm up as much as how long it has been since it was last driven. Over night it starts going pretty quickly, a few days amd it won’t move without full throttle and wont “lock in” until around 100 yards at full throttle.
The sn is TO310SJ161240 It passes the solenoid tests every time. Only stored code is a software mismatch code that it has had since i bought it. 234.02 I have noticed it really doesn’t seem to matter how long I let it warm up as much as how long it has been since it was last driven. Over night it starts going pretty quickly, a few days amd it won’t move without full throttle and wont “lock in” until around 100 yards at full throttle.
I can see you have mismatched software. That can be fixed with a software upgrade. First thing I recommend is to inspect the original transmission filter that you changed (if you still have it). Look into the filter. See anything out of place or broken (compare to a new filter)? Cut it open and inspect it. Any pieces missing/broken (particularly with the filter bypass)? Debris in the filter? See here on how to inspect a filter. Perform a torque converter stall test when issue is happening and when the transmission is working. Transmission warm, engine operating temperature, 3rd gear forward, foot planted firmly on the brakes, full throttle. What is the engine rpm in both scenarios? If the filter is OK and clean, then system and clutch pressure checks need to be performed. Maybe perform a park brake pressure release test if system pressure is good to make sure the park brake is not hanging up due to low pressure. Would need to know the system and clutch pressure when it is slipping and when it is working correctly. Do you have gauges? Tech manual TM10848? If this is something you are willing to tackle, then that manual is a must. Otherwise, you may need to hire someone.
Rpms when cold and slipping go to max in all gears, 2,350-2,400. When working properly rpms go to 2130 in 3rd holding brakes. Pictures are of holding to the floor both throttle and brakes when warm and working properly.
Have you checked the fluid condition while tractor is acting up? I wonder if you have aeration in your fluid on startup and after a while it works itself out. I would think if clutches slipping, that would worsen as the machine gets to operating temperature. Its a weird problem you have with the machine working properly after you use it for a bit. Sometimes these backhoes work properly when cold and go South after they warm up.
At this point, I need to know what the transmission pressure is at start up. Humor me once. In the fuse panel, swap the K6 relay with the K9 relay. Does the machine start? Does it move any better?